[comp.sys.zenith] Memory and Windows 3.0

hannanp@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Paula Hannan) (10/25/90)

Background:
 I am currently trying to increase the memory in my Zenith
 Z-286 machine in order to use Windows 3.0.  This machine,
 which is two years old, currently has the minimum 512k.
 After contacting several Zenith dealears I have received
 conflicting answers and price quotes from 900.00 for 1 Meg
 to a *cheap* 525.00 for 2 Meg. My current working theory is
 that I am going to have to buy the Zenith card which
 expands the memory to 640 and fill the additional empty
 banks with Zenith memory.  (Which would take me to 1.5M)

Questions:
 Is there any way to avoid using Zenith memory and the
  associtated outrageous prices?
 Can I expand beyond the first 1.5M using standard
  Lotus/Intel memory?  (According the the manual this memory
  goes into a standard AT slot)

I am especially interested in hearing from anyone who has
installed memory on the Z-286 or its close cousin the Z-248.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Paula Hannan

klee@nas.nasa.gov (King M. Lee) (10/26/90)

In article <21287@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> hannanp@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Paula Hannan) writes:
>Background:
> I am currently trying to increase the memory in my Zenith
> Z-286 machine in order to use Windows 3.0.  This machine,
> which is two years old, currently has the minimum 512k.
> After contacting several Zenith dealears I have received
> conflicting answers and price quotes from 900.00 for 1 Meg
> to a *cheap* 525.00 for 2 Meg. My current working theory is
> that I am going to have to buy the Zenith card which
> expands the memory to 640 and fill the additional empty
> banks with Zenith memory.  (Which would take me to 1.5M)
>
>Questions:
> Is there any way to avoid using Zenith memory and the
>  associtated outrageous prices?

I  have a Zenith 386/16 and purchased a memory board to go with
it.  It didn't work because the  Zenith 386 does not refresh
1 Meg chips correctly.  I believe the Zenith 286 that has a
backplane has the same problem.  I was told that they work
with boards that takes 256K chips, but I  that is hearsay.

I find that Zenith computers are not as compatible as they
claim to be.

dibb@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Jim Dibb) (10/29/90)

This message is empty.

dibb@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Jim Dibb) (10/29/90)

In article <21287@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> hannanp@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Paula Hannan) writes:

> I am currently trying to increase the memory in my Zenith
> Z-286 machine in order to use Windows 3.0.  This machine,
> which is two years old, currently has the minimum 512k.
> After contacting several Zenith dealears I have received
> conflicting answers and price quotes from 900.00 for 1 Meg
> to a *cheap* 525.00 for 2 Meg. My current working theory is
> that I am going to have to buy the Zenith card which
> expands the memory to 640 and fill the additional empty
> banks with Zenith memory.  (Which would take me to 1.5M)

>Questions:
> Is there any way to avoid using Zenith memory and the
>  associtated outrageous prices?
> Can I expand beyond the first 1.5M using standard
>  Lotus/Intel memory?  (According the the manual this memory
>  goes into a standard AT slot)

>I am especially interested in hearing from anyone who has
>installed memory on the Z-286 or its close cousin the Z-248.

I used a "KW" (I'll get the full name and send it out later) board on my
Z-248 to raise the 512k to 640 and add 2M of EXTENDED memory. Through
our campus computer center the board was $90 and the chips were ~$45/0.5 Meg.

For Windows, extended memory is the way to go,(Vs. expanded).

>Thanks in advance for your help!
>Paula Hannan

No problem.
jim

owens@acsu.buffalo.edu (bill owens) (10/31/90)

In article <DIBB.90Oct29090302@sunrise.clarkson.edu> dibb@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Jim Dibb) writes:
>In article <21287@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> hannanp@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Paula Hannan) writes:
>
>> I am currently trying to increase the memory in my Zenith
>> Z-286 machine in order to use Windows 3.0.  This machine,
>> which is two years old, currently has the minimum 512k.
>> Is there any way to avoid using Zenith memory and the
>>  associtated outrageous prices?
>
>I used a "KW" (I'll get the full name and send it out later) board on my
>Z-248 to raise the 512k to 640 and add 2M of EXTENDED memory. Through
>our campus computer center the board was $90 and the chips were ~$45/0.5 Meg.

I have a True Blue IBM memory expansion board in my Z-286, which pushes
it up to 6.5M (started with 512k, backfilled, and used the remaining memory
of the 6M board for extended, which is all it'll do). Since I'm running
Minix 1.5.10 rather than mess-dos, I can use it all as real memory! (Now the
next step is to replace the cpu board with a 386, once I find someone
selling passive backplane 386 boards) I don't know enough about W3.0 to
know whether extended will work for you, but there are programs (Above Disc?)
which fake expanded using extended. BTW, the board has custom IBM
512k simms, so part numbers would probably be useless.

Bill.
Bill Owens                                              owens@acsu.buffalo.edu
108 Computing Center                              uunet!acsu.buffalo.edu!owens
Buffalo, NY 12460                                                 716/636-3511

unhd (Roger Gonzalez ) (11/01/90)

Paula:

I put a generic Everex 2 meg board in my '248, and only put in 512K,
bringing my machine to 1 meg.  The Everex board works fine, and the
memory can be configured to be "extended memory" or "EMS".  The whole
deal was $239 for memory and board.

Running Windows 3.0 on the '286 was tedious.  It will be for you as well,
assuming that you have the same 8MHz no wait state machine that I do.
I'm biased, though, since I've decided that Windows is a piece of trash :-)
For example; ever do this sequence of events?  Run an unknown executable,
decide you don't want to save it, and then delete it.  In windows, this
is a pain.  If you have a disk space crunch, trying to decide what to save
and what to nuke or move to floppy can make you pull out your hair.  At
work, where I *have* to run windows on a '386, at least the speed is
tolerable.  Save your money, or buy DesqView.  Windows is all glitter and
no substance.

Just another opinionated flame-war instigating comment from
- Roger
--
"The question of whether a computer can think is no more interesting
 than the question of whether a submarine can swim" - Edsgar W. Dijkstra