[comp.sys.zenith] Password protection

burdett@milton.u.washington.edu (Michael Burdett) (11/21/90)

I have a Zenith early model L P 286/8 computer.  I noticed that the later
model L P 286/12 and the L P pluse have a password protection menu in the
monitor rom SETUP.  My question is ther any way  to get this feature working
on an older L.P.?  I have replaced the rom chip 444-643-1 with a 444-643-10,
that gave me the menu to set the passwords but, when I try to set a password
the program said that the hardware dosen't support passwords.
	Does anybody know if I can do anything to fix this?
	How about another solution?
	The data on the computer is of a sensitive nature and I am required
to have some kind of password security.  I will use a encrypting software
on all for my data but the large amount of data files make it impractical
so I am reserving this as a last resort.

	Does anybody know of a driver I can use in config.sys to request a
password?  I tried a program that was placed in the autoexec.bat but I could
get around that with ^C.

Please respond to BURDETT@U.WASHINGTON.EDU

Michael A. Burdett

koziarzw@lonex.radc.af.mil (Walter Koziarz) (11/21/90)

In article <11502@milton.u.washington.edu> burdett@milton.u.washington.edu (Michael Burdett) writes:

>	Does anybody know of a driver I can use in config.sys to request a
>password?  I tried a program that was placed in the autoexec.bat but I could
>get around that with ^C.

Absolutely!  It is even in the public domain.  It is contained within the
GERNWARE H/Z100 Public Domain Library.  Send request to 'gern@lonex.radc.af.mil'
for further information.

Walt K.