[comp.sys.zenith] Zenith SupersPORT 286 memory upgrade questions

vincent_a (Andrew Vincent) (12/14/90)

I ordered a 2Mb memory card upgrade from a 3rd party supplier. I
have a ~18 month old Zenith ProsPORT 286. The CONFIG program only
offers 1Mb and 4Mb expanded memory config options. On closer inspection
of the memory upgrade installation instructions, I find it refers to
SupersPORT 286 SX and 286e laptop models.

Can someone define the model differences?
Should memory modules operate on a SupersPORT 286 as well?
Am I stuck with only 1Mb and 4Mb expansion options?

Any help greatly appreciated,

Andrew
-------

kopp@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Michael J Kopp) (12/16/90)

Well:

	I currently own a Zenith Supersport 286 which I am told is currently
the highest model Zenith Laptop on the market (the Supersport 386 was
discontinued for some reason).

	I now quote directly from the Owner's Manual:

		If your computer contains more than 1 megabyte
		of memory, you need to select the number of
		kilobytes of expansion memory you have added to
		the system.  The selections are 0K, 1024K, and
		4096K.

	I am told that all models of the Zenith Supersport Laptop systems
have only one internal Expansion RAM Card slot thus since you can only buy
(as far as I'm aware) a 2 Meg. or a 4 Meg. Expansion RAM Card these are your
only two options.

djo7613@hardy.u.washington.edu (Dick O'Connor) (12/18/90)

In article <71096@unix.cis.pitt.edu> kopp@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Michael J Kopp) writes:

>Well:
>
>	I currently own a Zenith Supersport 286 which I am told is currently
>the highest model Zenith Laptop on the market (the Supersport 386 was
>discontinued for some reason).

Not sure what this means.  The Turbosport 386 WAS discontinued; ZDS decided
not to compete in the "power machine" AC-only luggable market.  However,
the Supersport SX is still going strong, as Zenith's entry into the
386 battery-powered portable market.  ZDS is paying for that overly cutesy
"SupersPort" moniker to emphasize the PORT-ability, for now they have
thoroughly confused their customers as to what machines they still offer
and what's inside them.  Honestly, ZDS makes almost as many marketing
blunders as AT&T Small Computer Division.

>	I am told that all models of the Zenith Supersport Laptop systems
>have only one internal Expansion RAM Card slot thus since you can only buy
>(as far as I'm aware) a 2 Meg. or a 4 Meg. Expansion RAM Card these are your
>only two options.

This sounds right, for the 286 machines.  The Supersport [386]SX laptop
comes with 1 MB, which can be expanded in 2 MB increments up to 8MB somehow
(I won't know how till I have one in hand!).  Be aware that Zenith memory
modules are much cheaper from third party outlets like Nevada Computer
Corp. and others.  This is another point I wish they'd clarify.  For a
company that used to encourage people to build these things with a screw-
driver (and still do via the remaining Heath computer kits), they have a
fairly closed attitude when it comes to encouraging users to add their own
memory, modems, etc. to these laptops.  Wish they'd wake up someday...

"Moby" Dick O'Connor                         djo7613@u.washington.edu
Washington Department of Fisheries           *I brake for salmonids*