[comp.sys.zenith] Memory upgrades for 286 Zenith.

johnvann@room.Princeton.EDU (John Daniel Vann) (01/16/91)

Payman Parastaran (pp00287@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu) writes:
>I need to upgrade my 286 (12MHz) zenith (I don't quite remember the model
>number, something like 248 LP/12 I believe) to 2MB or 3MB of memory.  Can
>anyone provide information about alternatives to Zenith's memory expansion
>which I think is much too expensive.

Me too!

My layperson's feeling on the matter is that any third party simm would
work, but I'm really fuzzy on the whole matter.  Any information would
be sincerely appreciated.

John Vann
(johnvann@phoenix)

djo7613@hardy.u.washington.edu (Dick O'Connor) (01/16/91)

I sent a reply to Payman, but if it's of general interest: I've upgraded
3 Z248/12's so far to 3 MB using $55 1 MB 1X9 80 ns SIMMs from the Chip
Merchant, 9541 Ridgehaven Court, Suite A, San Diego, CA  92123 Phone
(619) 268-4774.  No problems, prompt UPS Blue delivery, Visa, check or
company PO, all the pieces work as advertised.

I've got Windows 3 on all three machines, so I've configured the upper 2MB
as extended using HIMEM.SYS and Windows to control things.  Haven't run into
a problem yet.

"Moby" Dick O'Connor                         djo7613@u.washington.edu
Washington Department of Fisheries           *I brake for salmonids*