[comp.sys.zenith] Jumper settings for disk controller

rocco@nstar.rn.com (Rocco Calderone) (01/24/91)

 If you want to install an additional HD, the problem is not with the
 HD controller.  1. Ribbon cable must allow you to connect 2 HD's
 2. the junkpers on the HD's must both be set to the second drive.
 i.e. if pin # 1 & 2 are jumped for disk 1, then pins 2 & 3 must be
 jumped on both drives. 3. You must set up the correct HD type press
 Alt/Ctl and Ins key and type in: setup
 That should do it for you........

--
internet: rocco@nstar.rn.com
internet: rocco%nstar@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

fargo@iear.arts.rpi.edu (Irwin M. Fargo) (01/24/91)

In article <DX49V2w161w@nstar.rn.com> rocco@nstar.rn.com (Rocco Calderone) writes:

> If you want to install an additional HD, the problem is not with the
> HD controller.  1. Ribbon cable must allow you to connect 2 HD's
> 2. the junkpers on the HD's must both be set to the second drive.
> i.e. if pin # 1 & 2 are jumped for disk 1, then pins 2 & 3 must be
> jumped on both drives. 3. You must set up the correct HD type press
> Alt/Ctl and Ins key and type in: setup
> That should do it for you........

Thanks for the info, but the reason I need to jumper the card as a secondary
controller is because the 2nd hard drive I have is an RLL drive.  I know that
RLL drives can be reformatted for use on an MFM controller, but that would
mean a 70 MB MFM drive instead of a 110 MB RLL drive.  A chunk of space that
I can't do without right now.

I read my Zenith Owners' Manual, but it had little to no information in it.
The manual I got with the RLL controller has no information whatsoever on
setting up the RLL card as a secondary controller; only info on changing the
controller BIOS address.

Help me, please!  The spider!  Help me!

Thank you and happy hunting!		Actually: Ethan M. Young
"If Linus looked like Worf, would you	Internet: fargo@iear.arts.rpi.edu
 try to take his blanket away?"		Bitnet (??): usergac0@rpitsmts.bitnet
	- dorsai@pawl.rpi.edu		Disclaimer: Who said what?

rocco@nstar.rn.com (Rocco Calderone) (01/24/91)

 Ah! There is the problem, Zenith did not allow for RLL drive installation
 not the easy way.....Sorry, you'll have to go to a Zenith/RLL expert.