[comp.sys.zenith] Low level format of hard drive

krg2@po.CWRU.Edu (Kevin R. Glazier) (02/05/91)

     Does anyone out there in net.land know the procedure for
low-level formatting the hard drive in a Zenith 386/20?  I have
tried several times using the DOS debug.com and the following:
g=c800:5  g=d800:5  g=c800:00H etc. etc. etc. to no avail.  I'm
running DOS 4.01 and I have several partitions on my hard drive,
hence the need to nuke it.  Thanks in advance.

--
Kevin R. Glazier |     Michelson 540       | "War is our profession,
    C/4th/C      |  (The Officer's Club)   |  but peace is our goal..."

spike@wasp.eng.ufl.edu (Spike) (02/05/91)

In article <1991Feb4.222526.11997@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> krg2@po.CWRU.Edu (Kevin R. Glazier) writes:

>     Does anyone out there in net.land know the procedure for
>low-level formatting the hard drive in a Zenith 386/20?  I have
>tried several times using the DOS debug.com and the following:
>g=c800:5  g=d800:5  g=c800:00H etc. etc. etc. to no avail.  I'm
>running DOS 4.01 and I have several partitions on my hard drive,
>hence the need to nuke it.  Thanks in advance.
>
>--
>Kevin R. Glazier |     Michelson 540       | "War is our profession,

   HEY KEVIN STOP RIGHT THERE. USE PREP.EXE. YOU WILL FIND IT IN YOUR ZDOS         IT IS ONE OF THE BETTER LOW LEVEL FORMATTERS. IT IS NAMED BY MACE AS            "ONE OF THE FEW TO USE." IF YOUR HARD DRIVE IS AN IDE OF ESDI DRIVE YOU'LL       NEED TO RUN PREP LIKE THIS "PREP/I:1" FOR AN INTERLEAVE OF 1:1.  YOUR ZDOS      MANUALS HAVE ALL THE REQUIRED READING. GOOD LUCK.

                              KEN GAGE, CARETAKER OF ZENITH HEAVEN UF.
                                  KEN GAGE  CARETAKER OF ZENITH HEAVEN UF.

jeff@nstar.rn.com (Jeff Babcock) (02/05/91)

Have you tryed running the Zenith PREP program from your dos disk
It should take care of the low level ok if the correct drive type is
selected in your setup screen.

Jeff

--
internet: jeff@nstar.rn.com -or- jeff%nstar@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
uucp:     ..!uunet!nstar.rn.com!jeff -or- ..!uunet!nstar!jeff