[comp.sys.zenith] ESDI vs AT bus ethernet card for Z-386

henry@yogi.fhhosp.ab.ca (02/12/91)

I have a Z386/20 that I want to put on an ethernet network.  Since it
has both ESDI and AT slots, I was wondering:

  1)  Does anyone make ethernet cards for ESDI
  2)  Is it worth the extra money

Thanks,
-Henry Bland

djo7613@milton.u.washington.edu (Dick O'Connor) (02/13/91)

You mean EISA (extended industry standard architecture bus), not ESDI
(a hard disk interface spec).  At this point in time, I haven't seen
any supported claims of better network throughput using EISA cards.
The standard 8-bit and 16-bit network cards we use seem plenty fast
enough over 10 mbit Ethernet.  But my only experience is with small
(up to 20) machine local area networks.  If your network is enterprise-wide
or international, it's a whole new can of worms.

In article <1991Feb11.215514.1768@yogi.fhhosp.ab.ca> henry@yogi.fhhosp.ab.ca writes:

   I have a Z386/20 that I want to put on an ethernet network.  Since it
   has both EISA and AT slots, I was wondering:

     1)  Does anyone make ethernet cards for EISA

Yes, MYLEX does.  I know nothing more about them than their existance.

     2)  Is it worth the extra money

Hard to say.  A good bit of your speed is lost transferring the packets
from the board's memory to the system memory.  So, if the board really
is a 32-bit board, AND your packet transfers are aligned on 32-bit
boundaries, you should see some speed increase.

--
--russ <nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu> I'm proud to be a humble Quaker.
It's better to get mugged than to live a life of fear -- Freeman Dyson

GR.MRB@isumvs.iastate.edu (MARK BERAN) (02/15/91)

In article <1991Feb11.215514.1768@yogi.fhhosp.ab.ca>,
henry@yogi.fhhosp.ab.ca writes:
>I have a Z386/20 that I want to put on an ethernet network.  Since it
>has both ESDI and AT slots, I was wondering:
>
>  1)  Does anyone make ethernet cards for ESDI
>  2)  Is it worth the extra money
>
>Thanks,
>-Henry Bland

ESDI?  Enhanced Small Device Interface?  This is a hard drive
interface, not a bus architecture.  What you have is ISA expansion
slots (Industry Standard Architecture - AT if you will).  We have
chosen to use the 8-bit Western Digital WD8003e ethernet board for
most of our workstations, and the 16-bit Western Digital WD8013ebt
for our servers.  You should be able to get them for around $160
and $250 respectively.

Good Luck.  Mark.