[comp.sys.zenith] Zenith VGA

spike@wasp.eng.ufl.edu (Spike) (03/12/91)

  Many of you I'm sure have seen the flickering and monochrome
  modes of the Zenith FTMs caused by the bad connections on the
  video cable on the CRT board.
  I have just found the exact same problem on the ZCM-1390-Z.
  Has Anybody else encountered this in the 1390-Z besides me?

 Ken Gage "Caretaker of Zenith Heaven, University of Florida"

burd@hydra.unm.edu (Stephen Burd ASM) (03/13/91)

In article <1991Mar12.132659.12253@eng.ufl.edu> spike@wasp.eng.ufl.edu (Spike) writes:

>  Many of you I'm sure have seen the flickering and monochrome
>  modes of the Zenith FTMs caused by the bad connections on the
>  video cable on the CRT board.
>  I have just found the exact same problem on the ZCM-1390-Z.
>  Has Anybody else encountered this in the 1390-Z besides me?

I've certainly had that problem with my color ZCM-1490-Z.  I don't know
what connections are at fault but I know a couple of hard whacks usually
settles it down for awhile.  I had it in for service during the warranty
period but the technician couldn't replicate the problem.  It's extremely
annoying when a white on purple screen suddenly shifts to light blue on
purple.  It also doesn't make me anxious to run out and buy a Zenith
television!

--
FROM:      Stephen D. Burd			AT&T:      (505)-277-6418
USNAIL:    Anderson School of Management

news@eng.ufl.edu (03/13/91)

From: spike@wasp.eng.ufl.edu (Spike)

 Stephen,
  I can understand your frustration. I do believe that I have a firm
 understanding of the problem. We must think interms of analog instead
 of digital. Analog engineering is almost a lost art, and still very
 sensitive. A noisy analog signal can give you more problems than you
 can handle, and this is the core of our problem. Now the folks who
 decided to use this style of connector may not have been in an anolog
 frame of mind. (I'm not saying that those folks aren't competent, it
 just that they may not have been prepared for the problems of connecting
 analog signals) I, along with a couple of EE types around here, agree
 that coax/bnc type connectors are the best connectors for the job.
  So Stephen our problem is that the connection on the 'video output
 module' (the board on the back of the CRT) isn't perfect. The connector
 number is 5R9. The surest way to fix the problem is to hard solder the
 connector. In other words take the connectors out of the plastic and
 solder them to the posts. (be sure to insulate them with heat shrink
 of something like it, because we don't want those to come together
 and cause more problems)
  Good Luck Stephen,
  call me if you have any questions.

 Ken Gage "Caretaker of Zenith Heaven " University of Florida.
                                          (904)392-2464
PS. please don't FlAME me. I am trying to make Zenith users' lives
   a little easier.