[comp.sys.zenith] Strange DOS error messages

cd5340@mars.njit.edu (David Charlap) (03/27/91)

In article <1991Mar27.153142.3610@grape.ecs.clarkson.edu> millernw@clutx.clarkson.edu (Neal Miller) writes:

>	Here's an unusual situation...  About two or three times a week, I'll
>be using by Zenith-248 (286-8MHz) for something that requires more hard drive
>usage than normal, such as PKzipping/unzipping or (more likely) a Norton
>Speeddisk or DiskDoctor checkup, and the system will stop and announce
>"Drive not ready: close door" (or something very similar).  This makes little
>sense as a hard drive, of course, has no door closed or otherwise.

Sounds to me like a timing error.  My rommate 2 years ago had that problem
with a 12MHz 286.  The drive would sometimes "freeze" for a minute, and
respond with a "not ready" error.  It would work fine after a <R>etry.
The problem never showed up when the board was slowed down to its 6MHz
setting.  Apparantly, it was a slow controller card, and had problems
when the computer's bus was running as 12MHz.  If you have an older
computer, then your 8MHz computer is probably driving the bus at 8MHz.
While that isn't normally a problem, an old HD controller, that only knows
how to work with a 4.77MHz bus may have this problem.  Most AT-bus cards
are supposed to work at least at 10MHz.  Most new computers now have a
separate crystal to run the bus at 10MHz, regardless of the processor's
speed. (imagine any board working on a 33MHz AT-bus!)
--
David Charlap                   "Invention is the mother of necessity"
cd5340@mars.njit.edu            "Necessity is a mother"

millernw@clutx.clarkson.edu (Neal Miller) (03/27/91)

	Here's an unusual situation...  About two or three times a week, I'll
be using by Zenith-248 (286-8MHz) for something that requires more hard drive
usage than normal, such as PKzipping/unzipping or (more likely) a Norton
Speeddisk or DiskDoctor checkup, and the system will stop and announce
"Drive not ready: close door" (or something very similar).  This makes little
sense as a hard drive, of course, has no door closed or otherwise.

	Fortunately, I also get the option (A)bort, (R)etry, (F)ail or
(I)gnore [Note: I'm running 4DOS], and the (R)etry invariably works.  It *is*
an annoyance, however, and if anyone has any idea how it could be fixed,
please let me know.

				Thanks,

 Neal Miller          |  "Why not go mad?"     |  millernw@clutx.clarkson.edu
 Clarkson University  |        - Ford Prefect  |  millernw@clutx.bitnet

kji@vpnet.chi.il.us (Ken Isacson) (03/28/91)

In article <1991Mar27.153142.3610@grape.ecs.clarkson.edu> millernw@clutx.clarkson.edu (Neal Miller) writes:

>	Here's an unusual situation...  About two or three times a week, I'll
>be using by Zenith-248 (286-8MHz) for something that requires more hard drive
>usage than normal, such as PKzipping/unzipping or (more likely) a Norton
>Speeddisk or DiskDoctor checkup, and the system will stop and announce
>"Drive not ready: close door" (or something very similar).  This makes little
>sense as a hard drive, of course, has no door closed or otherwise.
>
>	Fortunately, I also get the option (A)bort, (R)etry, (F)ail or
>(I)gnore [Note: I'm running 4DOS], and the (R)etry invariably works.  It *is*
>an annoyance, however, and if anyone has any idea how it could be fixed,
>please let me know.
>
>				Thanks,

> Neal Miller          |  "Why not go mad?"     |  millernw@clutx.clarkson.edu
> Clarkson University  |        - Ford Prefect  |  millernw@clutx.bitnet

I have the 248 at 8mhz and also run 4dos along with the above programms
that you say are causing the problem.  I have never had this problem.

However, I have had a data read error because a few places on my second
hard drive are bit flakey and are not flagged as bad.  (R)etry worked
just fine.

Ken Isacson         Sysop - Board Of Trade BBS  GT 016/001
kji@vpnet.chi.il.us         (815) 753 - 0042