[comp.sys.zenith] Memory boards for 386/16

jackson@acf4.nyu.edu (Robert Max Jackson) (04/29/91)

        I have a few Zenith 386/16s on which I need to increase the
memory.  As Zenith continues to sell their memory expansion boards at
a price approximately equal to buying a new computer, I am looking
elsewhere.  These machines were supposedly designed to use 16 bit
memory expansion boards (although they are slower, of course) as well
as the 32 bit proprietary Zenith board (this was the reason for making
a memory cache board available).  However, we have found by experiment
that some 16 bit memory boards won't work (in conjunction with network
boards, drivers that use expanded memory, and other subtleties).
        Can anyone recommend either a good alternative source for
reasonably priced compatible 32 bit boards (dubious but one hopes) or
16 bit LIMS4 EMS expansion boards that have been tested compatible
under demanding conditions?

rocco@nstar.rn.com (Rocco Calderone) (04/30/91)

jackson@acf4.nyu.edu (Robert Max Jackson) writes:

>         I have a few Zenith 386/16s on which I need to increase the
> memory.  As Zenith continues to sell their memory expansion boards at
> a price approximately equal to buying a new computer, I am looking
> elsewhere.  These machines were supposedly designed to use 16 bit
> memory expansion boards (although they are slower, of course) as well
> as the 32 bit proprietary Zenith board (this was the reason for making
> a memory cache board available).  However, we have found by experiment
> that some 16 bit memory boards won't work (in conjunction with network
> boards, drivers that use expanded memory, and other subtleties).
>         Can anyone recommend either a good alternative source for
> reasonably priced compatible 32 bit boards (dubious but one hopes) or
> 16 bit LIMS4 EMS expansion boards that have been tested compatible
> under demanding conditions?

  There is one way to upgrade the current 1mg memory board.
 1. Remove the current 256k chips and the chip holders
 2. Solder chip holder 18pins and replace 1x1meg chips.
 3. Change the dips on the board and voila, you now have 4meg board.

 Simple? Even if you have to pay someone to do it, it is cheaper than
Zenith's price.  There are (36) chip holders, if you look at one of them
 up close, you will see the outline marked in white, then look to the left
 and you will see the outline of where the new chip holder goes.
 I have tried it, and I have a full working 4meg board.
 Good luck.

--
Rocco Calderone       NSTAR conferencing site       219-289-0287/317-251-7391
internet: rocco@nstar.rn.com              1300 newsgroups - 8 inbound lines