[comp.sys.zenith] HARDWARE INCOMPATIBILITY

pitonyak@cis.ohio-state.edu (Andrew Pitonyak) (04/28/91)

For over one year now I have had a Z386-33, a Z-549 VGA board and
a 1492 monitor.  It has been verified by one of Zenith's techies
that these three components DO NOT work together.  Yes, they are
all made by Zenith but they do not work together.

To see the problem, just do a "machine video cga" and watch the
screen roll.

This means a HARDWARE INCOMPATIBLITLY in Zenith equipment.  No one
at Zenith has been either willing or able to do anything.  Has anyone
else had such an experience.

B.T.W., I am otherwise relatively happy with my equipment.

andy

rocco@nstar.rn.com (Rocco Calderone) (04/29/91)

pitonyak@cis.ohio-state.edu (Andrew Pitonyak) writes:

> For over one year now I have had a Z386-33, a Z-549 VGA board and
> a 1492 monitor.  It has been verified by one of Zenith's techies
> that these three components DO NOT work together.  Yes, they are
> all made by Zenith but they do not work together.
>
> To see the problem, just do a "machine video cga" and watch the
> screen roll.
>
> This means a HARDWARE INCOMPATIBLITLY in Zenith equipment.  No one
> at Zenith has been either willing or able to do anything.  Has anyone
> else had such an experience.
>
> B.T.W., I am otherwise relatively happy with my equipment.
>
> andy

 I have the exact configuration you have and I have not had any problems
 with the VGA display whatsover.......Perhaps you should seek a second
 opinion, tech wise, that is.  The Z-549 could be bad?
 Regards, Rocco

--
Rocco Calderone       NSTAR conferencing site       219-289-0287/317-251-7391
internet: rocco@nstar.rn.com              1300 newsgroups - 8 inbound lines

pitonyak@gryphon.cis.ohio-state.edu (Andrew Pitonyak) (04/30/91)

In article <gBD511w161w@nstar.rn.com> rocco@nstar.rn.com (Rocco Calderone) writes:
>pitonyak@cis.ohio-state.edu (Andrew Pitonyak) writes:
>
>> For over one year now I have had a Z386-33, a Z-549 VGA board and
>> a 1492 monitor.  It has been verified by one of Zenith's techies
>> that these three components DO NOT work together.
>> To see the problem, just do a "machine video cga"

> I have the exact configuration you have and I have not had any problems
> with the VGA display whatsover.......Perhaps you should seek a second
> opinion, tech wise, that is.  The Z-549 could be bad?

Actually, I have had three different service centers try and deal with
the problem and they all failed.  If you have the paradise version of the
z-549 board then you will not have the problem.  If you have the other
Z=549 you will have a problem.  I have had at least twenty different
boards in the machine and at least eight different 1492 monitors that
would not work.  Which Z-549 board do you own that works?  Does any
one else have the same set up that does work?

My Z-386-25 initially had the problem but replacing the 1492 fixed the
problem.

I have verified the problem on three other Z386-33's that I had access
to.

It was this problem which caused me to stop my service contracts with
Zenith.  There is a problem which is repeatable every single time and
yet no fix is/has been done.  As such I have started replacing my equipment
with non-zenith equipment from companies that take stuff back when there
is incompatibilities.

BTW, if I turn the monitor off and let it sit for about five minutes then
turn it on after doing a "machine video cga" then the screen is fine.

Andy

crean@zds-oem.UUCP (Pat Crean Federal Systems Engineering x ????) (04/30/91)

What version of DOS are you using --- I can't get machine mode cga
to do anything but tell me that cga isn't a valid option.  DOS 3.3+
and DOS 4.01 both do this on all the Z386/Z-549 machines I've tried
here.  If you can be a little more specific I'll take a look and see
if I can find out anything.

Pat

pitonyak@kingkong.cis.ohio-state.edu (Andrew Pitonyak) (05/02/91)

In article <1084@zds-oem.UUCP> crean@zds-oem.UUCP (Pat Crean  Federal Systems Engineering  x ????) writes:

>What version of DOS are you using

I have had the problem with DOS 3.3+ and DOS 4.01

> --- I can't get machine mode cga to do anything but tell me that cga
>isn't a valid option.

Oops, call it operator head space.  I meant MACHINE VIDEO CGA rather than
"machine mode cga".

If you can test this on your Z-386-33's with Z-549 video boards I would
appreciate it.  If it works if you could check which video board it really
it, ie. Western digital/Paradise for Zenith, or Zenith.

Andy