[comp.sys.zenith] Battery Watch

dpbst3@unix.cis.pitt.edu (David P Brennan) (05/08/91)

In article <1991May7.230727.10588@mercury.cair.du.edu> bdahlen@zephyr.cair.du.edu (Robert L. Dahlen - U. of Denver USA=) writes:
>In article <8T0J22w161w@nstar.rn.com> jackw@nstar.rn.com (Jack Wiggins) writes:
>>What you'll have to watch out for with "Battery Watch" is whether or not it
>>even supports the Minisport.  I bought a copy for my Supersport SX only to
>>discover that when it said it supported "Zenith Supersport" it only
>>supported the original "Supersport model and not the series.  As far as I
>>know, they STILL don't support the SX.
>
>I just read that Battery Watch Pro v3.0 $49.95 is a new generic version
>that supports 40 "popular" laptops.  Call Traveling Software at 206-483-8088.

I had posted a question about this program a few days ago and have been
following the thread somewhat. I have two questions:

1) does this thing support the Bondwell B310 80286?
2) does the advertised "deep discharge" function do anything more than
   leave the computer and all drives running until the battery runs out?

I had thought about buying it in order to *more* deeply discharge the
ni-cad pack than simply running it down, as there is still 5-6 volts left
after the computer ceases to run, so the pack is not fully discharged, only
to the point where there isn't enough juice left to power the computer.

Thoughts on this?

Dave Brennan
UPitt SLIS
dpbst3@unix.cis.pitt.edu

tnaa7@isuvax.iastate.edu (Steven M. Knapp) (05/09/91)

>I had thought about buying it in order to *more* deeply discharge the
>ni-cad pack than simply running it down, as there is still 5-6 volts left
>after the computer ceases to run, so the pack is not fully discharged, only
>to the point where there isn't enough juice left to power the computer.
>
>Thoughts on this?

Yes....make shure you are testing the voltage of the NiCd under load.
Perhaps a 50 ohm resistor in parallel w/ the voltmeter would be about right.
As far a discharging goes A 10 ohm resistor should immitate the laptop...
(8/10=.8A) Also do not dischage the battery to zero...each cell should not drop
below a certain level, which I am not shure of but I think it is in the .5 volt
area. So for a 7.5 volt pack 3 volts would be a good minimum I think.

					sTEVE