[comp.sys.zenith] Zenith Horror Stories

bezenek@plains.NoDak.edu (Todd M. Bezenek KO0N) (05/26/91)

     In October of 1990, I posted an article to comp.sys.zenith which
asked for references concerning poor Zenith Data Systems customer
service.  The information was to be used in an essay which would try to
convince North Dakota State University to stop supplying Zenith
equipment to students.

     Shortly after posting the article, I received several phone calls
from people at Zenith Data Systems.  One of these was from Bob Ross,
Account Manager for our region.  Mr. Ross wanted to know why I was
dissatisfied with Zenith Data Systems.

     I told Mr. Ross that my new 386 workstation gave me many problems,
but I solved them myself.  He asked if there was "anything at all that
I was not satisfied with."  I responded that my Zenith ZCM-1490 monitor
had been out of focus when I received it and a consequent visit to the
local Zenith service center had only made the problem worse.  Mr.  Ross
then said that he would "make me happy," even though I said it was no
big deal.

     About two months later nothing had been done yet, and the PIN
board in my monitor went west.  A call to Mr. Ross yeilded that he
was "trying to find a replacement for my monitor," and that he would
"take care" of my monitor soon.

     It is now late May of 1991--7 months after I was told that my
monitor would be fixed or replaced, and nothing has been done.

     I guess that I could have provided my own reference.

-Todd

p.s.  Zenith Data Systems no longer supplies demo equipment to our
university bookstore.  I guess that they pulled out before anyone had
the chance to ask them to leave.
--
Todd Michael Bezenek, KO0N         Internet:  bezenek@plains.nodak.edu
  UUCP:  uunet!plains!bezenek        Bitnet:  bezenek@plains

pitonyak@mostaccioli.cis.ohio-state.edu (Andrew Pitonyak) (05/31/91)

In article <10623@plains.NoDak.edu> bezenek@plains.NoDak.edu (Todd M. Bezenek KO0N) writes:

>     I told Mr. Ross that my new 386 workstation gave me many problems,
>but I solved them myself.  He asked if there was "anything at all that
>I was not satisfied with."  I responded that my Zenith ZCM-1490 monitor
>had been out of focus when I received it and a consequent visit to the
>local Zenith service center had only made the problem worse.

Exactly how many visits?  After Visit number 3 you request a new monitor.
Was it still out of focus when you picked it up at the shop?  Was it a
Zenith store or some other facility?  As for the problems you fixed
yourself,  that should be no complaint, it was user fixable.

>Mr.  Ross
>then said that he would "make me happy," even though I said it was no
>big deal.

You say no big deal but it isnot what you really mean.  If it was no
big deal you would not be waisting band width on it.  If your upset
then it is a big deal.

>     About two months later nothing had been done yet, and the PIN
>board in my monitor went west.  A call to Mr. Ross yeilded that he
>was "trying to find a replacement for my monitor," and that he would
>"take care" of my monitor soon.
>
>     It is now late May of 1991--7 months after I was told that my
>monitor would be fixed or replaced, and nothing has been done.

From such a sketchy complaint I can not take one side or another but
enough is enough.  If you want to know how to really rattle some
cages, let me know.  (614)-442-8615 (home EST)  I think I still
may have the appropriate addresses and phone numbers but maybe
not since ZDS moved.

If the machine has been unservicable and unusable for 7 months request
a new monitor.  If they have new ones and keep producing them then there
are parts some where.  If your monitor is still under warrentee, do
something NOW!

andy

kent@wasp.eng.ufl.edu (Kent Phelps) (06/06/91)

I just got back from a three day meeting with the folks at Zenith Data Systems.
They have recently formed a service center advisory council.  The council is
made up of representatives from 15 service centers from accross the country
including five from Educational service centers.  According to ZDS:

"The Service Center Advisory Council is a forum for presentation of service
center requirements.  Through the presentation of these requirements, Zenith
Data Systems will achieve a partnership focused on strengthening the service/
support goals of the Zenith Data Systems customer service division.  Our
partnership will position Zenith Data Systems as the number one provider in
the microcomputer industry."

We discussed several different aspects of service center operation including:
training, parts, accounting, warranty claims, technical support, and product
support.  We covered what ZDS was doing right and what they were doing wrong.
The meeting concluded with the selection of several key areas ZDS was to focus
on changing.

I've been in service for a long time and this meeting was the first time I
have seen a manufacturer asking their service centers for advice.  They really
seemed to listen to what we had to say.  If they are going to deliver in the key
areas we targeted remains to be seen.  I believe they are.

So why am I telling all of you in Netland this stuff?  I know that many other
schools have their own service centers and I would like to touch base with them
as to what their opinions are.

So all you servicers out there this is your chance!  If you have suggestions,
gripes, what ever, e-mail me about it.  I will have a direct line to ZDS
again this fall when the council meets again.

--
    Kent Phelps         | Internet:   kent@wasp.eng.ufl.edu
University of Florida   |              kent@digital.ufl.edu