[comp.sys.zenith] Zenith DOS 5.0 ?

edanlx3@venus.lerc.nasa.gov (Wayne Harris) (06/12/91)

Quick question to any and all.
Does Zenith plan on marketing their own flavor of DOS 5.0 ?

Does Zenith have any plans to produce their own version of DOS 5.0 ?
Thanks in advance.
***   All the usual disclaimers **    Wayne A. Harris                ****
***   apply.   My thoughts are  **    Analex Corp. / NASA LeRC       ****
***   strictly my own.          **    (216) 433-2067                 ****
***************************** Semper Fi *********************************

nick@socrates.umd.edu (nick lemberos (staff)) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun12.160748.21606@eagle.lerc.nasa.gov> edanlx3@venus.lerc.nasa.gov writes:

>Quick question to any and all.
>Does Zenith plan on marketing their own flavor of DOS 5.0 ?
>
>Does Zenith have any plans to produce their own version of DOS 5.0 ?
>Thanks in advance.

I went to the microsoft announcement yesterday.  You can only get DOS 5.0
from hardware vendors (ie. new systems) or purchase the upgrade thru
various channels (ie. egghead, site license etc).

When you upgrade to 5.0, microsofts upgrade program will rename vendor
specific programs (like Zenith's MODE command will become 33MODE.COM).

so to answer your question.  they should. but then again i dont know
anything.

nick

bdahlen@zephyr.cair.du.edu (Robert L. Dahlen - U. of Denver USA=) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun12.160748.21606@eagle.lerc.nasa.gov> edanlx3@venus.lerc.nasa.gov writes:
>Quick question to any and all.
>Does Zenith plan on marketing their own flavor of DOS 5.0 ?
>
>Does Zenith have any plans to produce their own version of DOS 5.0 ?
>Thanks in advance.
>***   All the usual disclaimers **    Wayne A. Harris                ****
>***   apply.   My thoughts are  **    Analex Corp. / NASA LeRC       ****
>***   strictly my own.          **    (216) 433-2067                 ****

Our Zenith Rep. says YES, but has gotten us no details yet.
Robert L. Dahlen - Director, Information Systems & Technology
University of Denver - Denver, Colorado 80208 (303) 871-4385
INTERNET:bdahlen@du.edu                      BITNET:bdahlen@ducair

gerry@zds-ux.UUCP (Gerry Gleason) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun12.160748.21606@eagle.lerc.nasa.gov> edanlx3@venus.lerc.nasa.gov writes:

>Quick question to any and all.
>Does Zenith plan on marketing their own flavor of DOS 5.0 ?

>Does Zenith have any plans to produce their own version of DOS 5.0 ?
>Thanks in advance.

The short answer is yes.  If you were really hot to get it, too bad,
you probably missed the beta program.  If your still really hot for it,
you can run the standard MS release, but this won't support all of your
Zenith features.  This ZDS release of MS-DOS is closer to generic MS-DOS
than past ZDS releases.  This was a design goal of the project, and
something I view as a positive feature effecting compatibility.

Exact release date is a marketing question, so don't ask me.

Gerry Gleason