[comp.ivideodisc] Hmmm - we might have some interesting overlap here

engst@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Adam C. Engst) (01/01/88)

In article <47@ritcv.UUCP> mac9067@ritcv.UUCP (Mark Collien) writes:

>Also we have been doing several hypermedia
>projects involving our concept of the "Electronic Museum".  And we are going
>through the 3rd crop of graduate students in our program that tries to
>produce creative interactive media desingers.
>
>Gosh, I'm rambling on here.... Well let's see some lively discussion on
>interactive media in this group.

Well, this is interesting.  I personally am interested in interactive
fiction, which is exactly what it says, fiction with which the reader can
interact.  At the base level, I'm placing most of my emphasis on having the
text non-linear, with links providing the reader with options for
interaction.  So far the interactive parts are limited, partly because most
people have trouble with the concept of telling your book what to do and
partly because I haven't done enough to figure out new ways of working the
interaction.  However, past the base level I'm looking to including graphics
and sound to enhance the text, though not to the extent of say a graphic
adventure game.  For instance, if someone is shot in a story, the computer
could make the sound of the gunshot just as the reader started to read the
description.  One of the problems that has faced me the entire time is how
to integrate such features into a story.  Perhaps some of the software
related to interactive videodisk work might apply?

If anyone in this group comments on something that might affect interactive
fiction (ie anything that is text/story/fiction related), could you please
include rec.arts.int-fiction in the newsgroups line.  That way I won't have
to manually cross-post interesting articles.  Thanks a lot!

                                          -Adam

--
Adam C. Engst                                     engst@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu
        		      		          pv9y@cornella.bitnet