[comp.ivideodisc] Welcome to ivideodisc

ooblick@eddie.MIT.EDU (Mikki Barry) (12/22/87)

Ah yes, we now have a group to discuss interactive videodisc technology.
For those of you joining us who don't know what we are about, let me
first tell you that we are *not* about watching movies on videodiscs.
A few people wrote to me when I proposed the group talking about how
awful it was that there aren't enough movies on videodisc.  No, no, no.

Interactive videodiscs are computer controlled, and are usually used
for a commercial purpose such as training.

To start things off, I'll tell you a bit about what my company does, and
hopefully you will do the same.

Learning Tree Software is using the TenCORE authoring system to produce
industrial training videos.  So far, we have done 80 in NTSC and 80 in
PAL formats.  We haven't run into too many problems with TenCORE, but
we have run into serious glitches with Authority (has anyone else?)

Right now we're in the "slow" season, so we are putting together a book on
IVD if anyone wants to lend stories, etc.  We're also doing consulting
to help others figure out how to actually get a videodisc out the door.
In our area (DC) lots of people say they do IVD, but few have actually
completed a disc.  Has anyone else had problems getting a working disc?

Also, we are quite interested in the new DVI technology (Digital Video
Interactive).  Does anyone have the low down on what is going on with this.
From the demo we have seen it is very promising.  Multi-overlays, multiple
windows, very complex.

Also, does anyone know what is up with CMU Tutor?  Most of our people
"cut their teeth" on the Tutor system (University of Illinois CBT
system).  CMU Tutor promises to be an authoring system for use on
workstation type computers.

So, now we have the group.  Let's talk!

Mikki Barry

shoopak@topaz.rutgers.edu (Maverick) (12/23/87)

I have a friend who ordered a cd rom, and so far so good.  We installed a
customized bios and a few business programs such as Lotus, Procom, etc...
It's a wonderful item, but does anyone know if/when cd write will become
available.  Also, does anyone have any info on the access time and storage
capabilities of cd rom vs. hard drives.

                             Mav.

NAME:  Steven Shoopak  (Maverick)      VOICE:  (201)932-3465
UUCP:  rutgers!topaz.rutgers.edu!shoopak ARPA:  shoopak@topaz.rutgers.edu
US MAIL:

          "The bird.  You know, the finger."

                              - Goose.

jmo@ems.Ems.MN.ORG (John M. O'Shaughnessy) (12/25/87)

	Greetings,

	I work for Control Data in the PLATO Development Group.
	Our group has done some work with Interactive Video, and
	we are enhancing our authoring products to take better
	advantage of new advances in interactive video.  Many of
	our customers use our Micro-TUTOR language in our Micro-PLATO
	Authoring System to create interactive video courses, others
	use the "programmerless" systems such as PCD3 or GSM.

	 John

--
John M. O'Shaughnessy                jmo@ems.mn.org		+1 612 375 8138
EMS/McGraw-Hill -guest               ihnp4!meccts!ems!jmo

ooblick@eddie.MIT.EDU (Mikki Barry) (12/25/87)

In article <2334@ems.Ems.MN.ORG> jmo@ems.Ems.MN.ORG (John M. O'Shaughnessy) writes:
>	I work for Control Data in the PLATO Development Group.
>	Our group has done some work with Interactive Video, and
>	we are enhancing our authoring products to take better
>	advantage of new advances in interactive video.  Many of

Ah, a PLATO person!  Most of our company is made up of old University
of Illinois PLATO people.  We are now using TenCORE as opposed to
Micro-TUTOR.  What changes are you making in Micro-TUTOR to make it
better?  We would really be interested in what new and nifty things you
are going to do with it.

And don't you hate it when IBM says they made the first plasma panels?
Sheesh!

Mikki Barry

simon@milano.UUCP (12/28/87)

In article <7720@eddie.MIT.EDU>, ooblick@eddie.MIT.EDU (Mikki Barry) writes:
> Also, we are quite interested in the new DVI technology (Digital Video
> Interactive).  Does anyone have the low down on what is going on with this.
> From the demo we have seen it is very promising.  Multi-overlays, multiple
> windows, very complex.

All I've heard is that DVI stores about 70 minutes of low-resolution (I
don't know how low) video on a CD. A compaction/expansion algorithm
in VLSI is used.

I'd also like to hear more details.

Simon Gibbs

    uucp: ut-sally!im4u!milano!simon
Internet: simon@mcc.COM

wes@engr.uky.edu (Wes Morgan) (12/29/87)

Hey, neat!

Well, my experience with ivideodisc has been peripheral at best; I took
some training on a videodisc tank gunnery simulator while in the US Army.
I thought it was some extremely good stuff, and I'm looking forward to
some explanation of the technology.

Whoever thought this up, good work!!!!

Wes Morgan

--
Wes Morgan         UUCP: !{rutgers, uunet, cbosgd}!ukma!ukecc!wes
NISP        ARPANET: wes@engr.uky.edu        BITNET: wes%ukecc.uucp@ukma

langg@ga.ecn.purdue.edu (George Lang) (01/01/88)

Newsgroups: comp.ivideodisc
Subject: Re: Welcome to ivideodisc
Sender: G. T. Lang.

Best wishes on the beginning of the newsgroup.

For the best proliferation of the relevant ideas and the already implemented
techniques I should like to suggest, that informative material be posted by
Mikki and or other knoledgable people. Most probably, there are many people
who are in need of this relatively new technology, without knowing of its
existence.

Operatively, I for one, should like to read about the "TUTOR" Mikki refers to.

Season's greetings all!

			GTL