[comp.ivideodisc] Reading CD-ROMs in a standard music CD player

ragge@nada.kth.se (Ragge Sundblad) (01/10/88)

Will I be able to read CD-ROMs in my CD player (Philips CD160)?
Is the digital output jack the same as used in the CD-ROM drives?
Where can I find a spec for the digital output protocol?

Any answer/s appreciated!

	/ragge

daford@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Daniel Ford) (01/12/88)

In article <274@draken.nada.kth.se> ragge@nada.kth.se (Ragge Sundblad) writes:
>Will I be able to read CD-ROMs in my CD player (Philips CD160)?
>Is the digital output jack the same as used in the CD-ROM drives?

I don't think so.  All the "stuff" is there but you need to have computer
control (i.e. another cpu telling the drive what to do) before you can
make it useful.  I suspect that the modifications you would need to do just
aren't worth it even if they are possible.  The Hitachi 1503s is a CD ROM
drive that has an audio output, it is a bit pricy ($1500 Can) though.

					Dan

Daniel A. Ford 					daford@watdragon.uucp
CS Department                         daford%watdragon@waterloo.csnet
U. of Waterloo       daford%watdragon%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa

mitsu@well.UUCP (Mitsuharu Hadeishi) (01/13/88)

	The high-end CD audio players, in particular the combi-player
from Philips as well as some of its high-end audio-only players
will indeed be capable of being used as a CD-ROM or CD-I drive
when connected to the appropriate computer hardware.  What is required
is a computer control and I/O port; I'm not sure about the drive
you have.  If you purchased it recently and it is a high-end drive,
it should have a computer port (since it's Philips.)

					-Mitsu

henkp@nikhefk.UUCP (Henk Peek) (01/14/88)

In article <274@draken.nada.kth.se> ragge@nada.kth.se (Ragge Sundblad) writes:
>Will I be able to read CD-ROMs in my CD player (Philips CD160)?

Yes, on the hobby computer exhibition in Holland there was a demonstration:
CBM64 computer reading a CD-ROM with a Philips CD160.
There was also an IBMPC interface bord. It was not yet tested.

>Is the digital output jack the same as used in the CD-ROM drives?
I don't known.

>Where can I find a spec for the digital output protocol?

You could find it in the data sheet of the SAA7210 decoder for
compact disc digital audio IC. Philips data handboek IC01  1986
Radio, audio and associated systems.

>Any answer/s appreciated!
>	/ragge

Henk Peek   ..!mcvax!nikhefk!henkp

clindh@sems.SE (Christer Lindh) (01/17/88)

I know that CD-ROM players can play music CD too, at least Atari has
one by now. There's a review of it in Personal Computer World Dec -87.
You have computer control over track-selection from the music CD as well.

But, does anyone know of any WORM-device that can read CD-* disks too ?

I understand there's a difference in how they're written/read etc.
Philips and Studer are supposed to be working together on this, as
there's a great demand for this from the broadcasting/studio market.

Anyone got more info ?

--
        clindh@sems.se          ::
      SEMS AB ,Box 2120         ::  "Okay fella, let's get down to the nitty