[comp.ivideodisc] IVIA videodisk standard

paul@matrox.UUCP (Paul Spencer) (09/29/88)

The Interactive Videodisc Industry Association (IVIA), a industry
group, is currently trying to create a standard for all future
videodisc training equipment. They have been commissioned to do
this by the U.S. Department of Defense (DOD). The DOD wants a
standard published and accepted soon; i.e. within 6 months.
From then on, all equipment purchased by any branch of the U.S.
Government would have to meet the standard.

Unfortunately, they have NOT brought this to the attention of the
public. The two key people involved in writing the standard are
employees of VAL and Visage, who are basically writing the standard
around VAL and Visage products, to the total exclusion of anyone
else. They are also basing it on yesterday's technology. (e.g. the
graphics standard is EGA).

They are not even informing other members of the IVIA!

Anyone involved in any aspect of interactive videodisc should scream
loud, and scream long, until a true, proper standard with some foresight
to the future is adopted. Otherwise, the only people with product to
sell will be VAL and Visage!

The people responsible are (you should be able to obtain a copy of the
proposed 'standard' from them):

Henry Mistrot, Chairman
IVIA Recommended Practices Committee
c/o VAL
4926 Spicewood Springs Road
Austin, TX 78759
FAX (512) 346-5781

Philip Dodds
IVIA Recommended Practices Committee
c/o Visage
Randall House
9 Randall Court
Annapolis, MD 21401
FAX (301) 268-7265

Gary Boycan, DOD OASD (FM&P/MM&PP)
Training Policy
Pentagon RM 3B930
Washington DC 20301

Speak now or forever live with someone else's standard!

paul spencer, matrox electronic systems
uvm-gen!matrox!paul     (514) 685-2630
disclaimer: matrox has a vested interest in a fair standard

king@client1.DRETOR.UUCP (Stephen King) (10/04/88)

In article <149@matrox.UUCP> paul@matrox.UUCP (Paul Spencer) writes:
>The Interactive Videodisc Industry Association (IVIA), a industry
>group, is currently trying to create a standard for all future
>videodisc training equipment. They have been commissioned to do
>this by the U.S. Department of Defense (DOD). The DOD wants a
>standard published and accepted soon; i.e. within 6 months.
>From then on, all equipment purchased by any branch of the U.S.
>Government would have to meet the standard.
> [...]
>Otherwise, the only people with product to
>sell will be VAL and Visage!
				(and Matrox, I'm sure :-))

	I see nothing wrong with anyone establishing their own standard for
their own purposes. Afterall, IBM's initial entry into the personal
computer market gave us, like it or not, a standard, albeit a lousy one.
Matrox already has a videodisc standard, EIDS (electronic information delivery
service) which is AT and EGA compatible. Do you think this new proposed
standard will not be compatible with EIDS? Given the amount DOD is spending
on EIDS, I doubt it. I am going to get a copy of the proposed standard, but
in the meantime perhaps you could tell us a few of the particulars that you
find objectionable. I agree that such a standard should not be accepted
without the agreement of numerous other concerns, but I think that you are
expecting the absolute worst of the DOD, n'est-ce pas?
	I look forward to hearing more on this matter.
--
	Stephen J King			DCIEM Human Factors Division
		...{utzoo|mnetor}!dciem!dretor!king

sullivan@matrox.UUCP (Gerry Sullivan) (10/05/88)

****Update****

The Interactive Videodisc Industry Association, (IVIA), is in the process
of identifying a "proposed standard" for all interactive videodisc based
training systems.  Matrox fully supports this standards effort.

The IVIA recommended practices committee has solicited inputs from a number
of manufacturers, developers, and customers of videodisc based systems.  One
major customer, the United States Department of Defense, (DOD), has voiced
some urgency in seeing a workable standard, and are hoping for a definitive
proposal from the IVIA within the next 6 months.

More input is needed from the entire industry in order to ensure that any
proposal has complete support.  The recommended practices committee is being
chaired by Henry Mistrot (from Video Associates Labs), and considerable work
has also been done by Philip Dodds (from Visage).  Copies of one early
proposal, and some comments on that proposal, are available from the
committee, at the addresses listed herein.

Henry Mistrot, Chairman
IVIA Recommended Practices Committee
c/o VAL
4926 Spicewood Springs Road
Austin,  TX  78759
fax 512-346-5781

Philip Dodds
IVIA Recommended Practices Committee
c/o Visage
Randall House
9 Randall Court
Annapolis   MD  21401
fax 301-268-7265

We need your comments now.  Each of us has both an opportunity and a
responsibility to help shape the standards which will serve as the model
for future interactive video development efforts.  All interested parties
should respond by fax or E-mail prior to October 10th.

Matrox fully supports the work being done by the IVIA.  We are a founding
member of this group, and have openly shared information with the committee
members.  Copies of the Matrox comments on the proposed standard, (which
includes documentation on the Private Tutor / EIDS system command set), are
available by writing the author.

Gerry Sullivan
Vice President Marketing
Training Systems Division
uunet!uvm-gen!matrox!sullivan

Matrox Electronic Systems Limited
1055 St. Regis Blvd.
Dorval, Quebec
Canada  H9P 2T4
tel 514-685-2630
fax 514-685-2853

sullivan@matrox.UUCP (Gerry Sullivan) (10/11/88)

Please note the update of the fax number for Philip Dodds:

In article <151@matrox.UUCP>, sullivan@matrox.UUCP (I) write:
> The Interactive Videodisc Industry Association, (IVIA), is in the process
> of identifying a "proposed standard" for all interactive videodisc based
> training systems.  Matrox fully supports this standards effort.
>
> More input is needed from the entire industry in order to ensure that any
> proposal has complete support. ...  Copies of one early
> proposal, and some comments on that proposal, are available from the
> committee, at the addresses listed herein.
>
> Philip Dodds
> IVIA Recommended Practices Committee
> c/o Visage
> Randall House
> 9 Randall Court
> Annapolis   MD  21401
> fax 301-268-7265
              ^^^^
fax number for Phillip Dodds should be 301-263-0590