[comp.ivideodisc] CD ROM info

mae@vygr.Sun.COM (Mike Ekberg, Sun {Graphics Product Division}) (02/03/89)

Someone asked for refrences on CD ROM. The following books are
reviewed in SIGNAL(1):

CD ROM: The New Papyrus (Vol. 1)
	Steve Lambert and Suzanne Ropiequet, Editors ($23.95)

Optical Publishing (Vol. 2)
	Suzanne Ropiequet, Editors ($26.42)

Interactive Multimedia (Vol. 3)
Sueann Ambron and Kristina Hooper ($28.42)

All are available postpaid from:
	Harper & Row
	Route 3
	P.O. Box 20-B
	Hagerstown, MD 21741
	800/638-3030

Also, check out:
	CD-ROM Review $34.97/year
	IDG Communications/Peterborough
	80 Elm Street
	Peterborough, NH 03458
	800/924-9471

(1) SIGNAL is: "SIGNAL Communication Tools for the Informations Age, A Whole Earth Catalog"

	$15.00 From:

	Whole Earth Review
	27 Gate Five Road
	Sausalito, CA 94965

P.S. Electronic Whole Earth Catalog is available on CD ROM.

mike (sun!mae), M/S 5-40
"There's nothing human that's alien to us." - A. Einstein

rosso@sco.COM (Ross Oliver) (02/06/89)

In article <88151@sun.uucp> mae@vygr.Sun.COM (Mike Ekberg, Sun {Graphics Product Division}) writes:
>Also, check out:
>	CD-ROM Review $34.97/year
>	IDG Communications/Peterborough
>	80 Elm Street
>	Peterborough, NH 03458
>	800/924-9471

I tried to subscribe to this magazine at the end of
last year.  Last week, I received a letter stating that
publication had been discontinued as of December 1988.
I think it reflects the state of the CD-ROM industry
as a whole: a technology in search of a market.

Ross Oliver
Technical Support
The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc.

ralphw@ius3.ius.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) (02/09/89)

In article <1503@viscous.sco.COM> rosso@sco.COM (Ross Oliver) writes:
>In article <88151@sun.uucp> mae@vygr.Sun.COM (Mike Ekberg, Sun {Graphics Product Division}) writes:
>>Also, check out:
>>	CD-ROM Review $34.97/year
>I tried to subscribe to this magazine ...
>publication had been discontinued as of December 1988.
>I think it reflects the state of the CD-ROM industry
>as a whole: a technology in search of a market.
I believe that this will change as regular people can do their own
publishing on the CD-ROM media.  The Februrary 6th issues of EE times
points to a products from Optical Media, Inc. and Meridian Data Systems
both using Yamaha CD recorders.

Let's hope the Recording Industry Lobbies don't try to limit the easy
availability of these systems in this country.
--
					- Ralph W. Hyre, Jr.
Internet: ralphw@{ius{3,2,1}.,}cs.cmu.edu    Phone:(412) CMU-BUGS

dmh@hpccc.HP.COM (David Hollander) (02/09/89)

I think it reflects the state of the CD-ROM industry
as a whole: a technology in search of a market.

Ross Oliver
Technical Support
The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc.

Why do you say this? Our LaserROM product is well recieved and
we are adding services. It seems to me that CD-ROM has found
a market at HP. I would be real interested in knowing why you
think otherwise.

Dave Hollander
Application Support Division