[comp.ivideodisc] Recommedation

as4e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Andrew Paul Stern) (04/15/89)

I just purchased "Empire of the Sun" on disc, and highly recommend it.
It is letterboxed, with digital sound and dolby surround.

I thought it was the best movie of 1987, and didn't rent it on tape so I could see it for the first time at home on disc.  I was very impressed.

The movie is over 2 and a half hours long, and ALSO includes "The China Odyssey", a 50 minute documentary directed by Martin Sheen on the making of the movie.

3 and a half hours of video on 2 discs.. what a buy.

-Drew

kdb@lts.UUCP (Kurt D. Baumann) (04/16/89)

In article <wYFebIy00VE182e1MZ@andrew.cmu.edu> as4e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Andrew Paul Stern) writes:
>I just purchased "Empire of the Sun" on disc, and highly recommend it.
>It is letterboxed, with digital sound and dolby surround.
>
>I thought it was the best movie of 1987, and didn't rent it on tape so I could see it for the first time at home on disc.  I was very impressed.
>
>The movie is over 2 and a half hours long, and ALSO includes "The China Odyssey", a 50 minute documentary directed by Martin Sheen on the making of the movie.
>
>3 and a half hours of video on 2 discs.. what a buy.
>
>-Drew

I am happy for you, but what does this have to do with Interactive Video Disc?

Unless, this is one of those discs that teach film techniique interactivly?

Seriously, why is it that there were a ton of people interested in having a
group started for the discussion of interactive videodisc and how it pertained
to training.  And now no one puts anything in here?

So does anyone know of any new authoring systems or languages that allow
easier use of IVD?

Has any seen any good things done with HyperCard and Videodisc?  I hear that
Apple has some very intereting programs out.  Anyone seen any?

Kurt
--
Kurt Baumann			...!uunet!lts!kdb / lts!kdb@uunet.uu.net
			  InterCon, 11732 Bowman Green Drive, Reston, VA 22090

jls@killer.Dallas.TX.US (Jerome Schneider) (04/17/89)

[... Deletion of querry about what movies have to do with IVD...]

Thanks, we needed that.  (humor)

It would seem that IVD should be propogating to non-dedicated training
systems in the future.  Does anyone know of video-overlay systems that
allow I.V. under such windowing systems as X or the Miceysoft PM?  Are
things like video "windows" imbedded in graphics windows available?

--
Jerome Schneider              UUCP: killer.DALLAS.TX.US!jls (guest account)
Aspen Technology Group        Ft. Collins, CO    Voice: (303) 484-8466

hubey@pilot.njin.net (Hubey) (04/17/89)

There is a new Interactive Authoring system called VIVA (I think) that
is Amiga based.  I haven't seen it but based on  the video capabilities of
the AMiga, I would say it's worth looking into.
--

     H.M. Hubey                     VOICE: 201-893-5269
 hubey@OSultrix.montclair.edu       hubey@pilot.njin.net

warsh@athena.mit.edu (Russell Williams) (04/17/89)

In article <7867@killer.Dallas.TX.US> jls@killer.Dallas.TX.US (Jerome Schneider) writes:
>                        Does anyone know of video-overlay systems that
>allow I.V. under such windowing systems as X or the Miceysoft PM?  Are
>things like video "windows" imbedded in graphics windows available?
>--
>Jerome Schneider              UUCP: killer.DALLAS.TX.US!jls (guest account)
>Aspen Technology Group        Ft. Collins, CO    Voice: (303) 484-8466

Here at Project Athena there are a number of projects underway that use
a system with the X Window System version 11 on VAXstation II's with a
Parallax graphics/video display board.  The video capabilities available
from the X server are somewhat primitive, taking the form of an extension to
the core X11 protocol.  Display of incoming video may be turned on on any
X window by using an Xlib request.  The video display options allow live
video of a fixed size (640x482) pixels, still video of the same size (doesn't
go away when the video source changes, but the last video frame digitized
remains on screen until a X expose event happens), and a scaled mode, which
allows a still portion of the incoming video frame to be displayed in a window
of arbitrary size, with automatic scaling as desired.

For people using the X Toolkit, there are several versions of a video widget
floating around that handles these modes and X exposes automatically.
Straight XLib programmers have to do it the hard way.

With X11, you can also draw on top of the video windows in all video modes,
although I don't know of any projects around here that use that capability.
The whole setup is still a bit flakey, unfortunately, but getting better all
the time.  Unstable input video signals tend to become badly garbled when
put into a window, so a direct feed from the videodisc player is best, although
live cable TV works well. (We distribute images from a single videodisc player
source using the campus cable network)

-Russell Williams			warsh@athena.mit.edu [ @mitvma.bitnet ]
Boston Videodisc Project		Rotch Visual Collection, MIT

jls@killer.Dallas.TX.US (Jerome Schneider) (04/21/89)

My earlier comment about video running in windows brought up questions about
other PC hardware.  Currently, we are experimenting with a new product from
New Media Graphics that adds NTSC/PAL video real-time digitizing and overlay
with a standard VGA system.  THe Digitized video can be "manipulated" in
size and display quadrant, along with some other special effects.  This seems
to be the most "advanced" product of it's type.  The card has an on-board
80186 processor along with a megapixel of video capture memory.  (Thats
from memory, and not exact, but you get the picture).

The prices seem reasonable, and are in the same range as EGA/CGA overlay
systems.  I would expect new software that adds windowing functions to be
available in the future.  The on-board processor should help support
repainting and resizing windows.

There is not a PS/2 Microchannel version that I know of, but maybe soon.

The company is at:
   780 Boston Road
   Bilerica, MA 01821-5925
   (617 663-0666

As usual, the std disclaimer.  I don't have any affiliation with NMG except
as a customer using their products.