[comp.ivideodisc] Use of Video on Unix Workstations

tciaccio@shamash.cdc.com (Tom Ciaccio) (05/08/89)

I'm currently using the AT&T TRUEVISON line of image processing boards
to display video images from an application on a PC.  I need to expand
the application to run in a network'ed environment.  Does anyone know
if the same capabilities exist for UNIX workstations?  That is, the
capability to take live/taped video input, capture an image, perhaps edit
it, and have it displayed back at a later time from an application?

Furthermore it would be really nice to be able to display the video
image in a window on the main display monitor and not need an additional
video monitor.

Any information would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

---
Thomas R. Ciaccio, Control Data Corporation
                   2800 E. Old Shakopee Road,  m/s HQM234
                   Bloomington, MN.  55425
EMail address -    tciaccio@shamash.cdc.com

hart@nova.laic.uucp (Howard C. Hart) (05/10/89)

In article <12516@shamash.cdc.com> tciaccio@shamash.cdc.com (Tom Ciaccio) writes:

>I'm currently using the AT&T TRUEVISON line of image processing boards
>to display video images from an application on a PC.  I need to expand
>the application to run in a network'ed environment.  Does anyone know
>if the same capabilities exist for UNIX workstations?  That is, the
>capability to take live/taped video input, capture an image, perhaps edit
>it, and have it displayed back at a later time from an application?

RGB Technology of Berkeley, CA (415)848-0180 has a box that supposedly
works on all major UNIX workstations. I only saw it demoed on a Sun
3/60, but it looked like it was taking regular RGB cables for input
and output. The demo I saw was displaying an NTSC movie on a subwindow
on the Sun while other Sun demos were running simulataneously on the
same 3/60 screen. They've got another box for saving screen images also.
Cost was around 16K for the image saver, don't remember what the display
box ran.

Howard C. Hart                  UUCP:{sun!sunncal,pyramid}!leadsv!laic!nova!hart
Lockheed Missiles and Space Co.
Orgn 59-53, Bldg 593            Ph: (408) 743-2253 or -7353
Sunnyvale, CA 94086

mae@vygr.Sun.COM (Mike Ekberg, Sun {GPD-LEGO}) (05/11/89)

Sun Microsystems has announced VME-based video
in and out for Sun workstations w/ VME backplanes.

Contact a Sun Sales guy for details.

# mike (sun!mae), M/S 8-04
"I'd rather sniff French shit for 5 years then eat
Chinese shit the rest of my life"  -Ho Chi Minh-

gavin@krypton.SGI.COM (Gavin Bell) (05/11/89)

I hate to sound commercial, but...
Silicon Graphics announced a real-time video digitizer board at NCGA.
It lets you put NTSC or PAL video in a window, and mix graphics in
with it to boot.  I'm not sure if real-time image processing could
work or not; I didn't have time to try.

Contact a SG sales rep for info on availability,
price, etc.   (Sorry, I couldn't resist mentioning this, since I wrote
the demos for it...)

--gavin

andrew@dgbt.uucp (Andrew Patrick) (05/11/89)

writes:

>I'm currently using the AT&T TRUEVISON line of image processing boards
>to display video images from an application on a PC.  I need to expand
>the application to run in a network'ed environment.  Does anyone know
>if the same capabilities exist for UNIX workstations?  That is, the
>capability to take live/taped video input, capture an image, perhaps edit
>it, and have it displayed back at a later time from an application?
>
>Furthermore it would be really nice to be able to display the video
>image in a window on the main display monitor and not need an additional
>video monitor.
>
>Any information would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Sun Microsystems recently announced a SunVideo product you should look
at.  Here is the information from the press release (April 18, 1989):

- SunVideo is a board that enables Sun workstations to display
	true-color, full motion video
- it is intended to be used with 'the dynamic output of a
	supercomputer' or a video camera or disk/tape player.
- the output is fully integrated with the Sun windowing environment
- SunVideo can be used with Sun's _deskside_ workstations (not the small
	ones like the 3/50 or 3/60).  These include members of the Sun 3 and Sun
	4 families, as well as the new SPARCstation 330 and 370 workstations.
- it will accept virtually any 525-line video signal including NTSC,
	Super VHS, RGB, & YUV.
- the (unofficial) price of the SunVideo board is $18,300CDN.

--
Andrew Patrick, Ph.D.         Communications Research Centre
  (613) 990-4675              Department of Communications, Ottawa, Canada