[comp.ivideodisc] Intel DVI

marmar@mtk.UUCP (Mark Martino) (07/12/89)

After seeing the video that Intel put out about its DVI technology, I am
eager to hear from anyone who is using DVI or building equipment from
Intel's chips.  Can you really compress images at 10 frames/second?  How
well does it work on images that are not common on video, i.e. hard edge,
black and white, or lots of image switching?

Since their algorithm(s) are tuned to typical video images, I was
wondering how well they worked when you used other types of images.
Also, Intel did not give me any prices on the chips, boards, or systems.
Does anyone have ballpark figures?

kdb@intercon.uu.net (Kurt Baumann) (07/14/89)

In article <448@mtk.UUCP>, marmar@mtk.UUCP (Mark Martino) writes:
> After seeing the video that Intel put out about its DVI technology, I am
> eager to hear from anyone who is using DVI or building equipment from
> Intel's chips.  Can you really compress images at 10 frames/second?  How
> well does it work on images that are not common on video, i.e. hard edge,
> black and white, or lots of image switching?

It works best on fairly stable video.  If you have a lot of background switching
then you run into speed problems.  Other than that I can't say much as we
only played with a demo and have not had the opportunity to do much more.

> Since their algorithm(s) are tuned to typical video images, I was
> wondering how well they worked when you used other types of images.
> Also, Intel did not give me any prices on the chips, boards, or systems.
> Does anyone have ballpark figures?

I have been following this for the last two years and I have not heard anything
about a price yet.  I do know that they want to get the price such that you
could just put a box on your TV or CD player and use it, the consumers are
the market that they would like to get this into, as far as I can tell.
You would have to have the unit priced about $1,000 I would think.
--
Kurt Baumann

InterCon Systems Corporation
46950 Community Plaza
Suite 101-132
Sterling, VA 22170                      Phone: 703.450.7117