[comp.ivideodisc] COST OF PRESSING A VIDEODISC?

rrohwedder@cdp.UUCP (08/12/89)

I'm trying to find out about the cost of putting a bunch of
short (5 minute) video segments on a videodisc.  Anyone have
a ballpark figure for a "first pressing" and subsequent
copies?

A response right here would be fine.

-- Rocky

taylorj@yvax.byu.edu (08/14/89)

A couple of places will press a "check disc" for $300-$500:

LaserEdit
540 N. Hollywood Way
Burbank, CA  91505
(818) 842-0777   Fax: (818)566-9834

Crawford Communications
506 Plasters Avenue
Atlanta, GA 30324
(404) 876-8722

Jim Taylor
Microcomputer Support for Curriculum   |
Brigham Young University               |   Bitnet: taylorj@byuvax.bitnet
101 HRCB, Provo, UT  84602             |   Internet: taylorj@yvax.byu.edu

kim@swbatl.UUCP (5605) (08/14/89)

In article <133200001@cdp>, rrohwedder@cdp.UUCP writes:

> I'm trying to find out about the cost of putting a bunch of
> short (5 minute) video segments on a videodisc.  Anyone have
> a ballpark figure for a "first pressing" and subsequent
> copies?
>
> A response right here would be fine.
>
> -- Rocky

I've been having my material press by "Crawford
Communications" 506 Plasters Avenue, Atlanta, GA.
(404) 876-8722. (double check this address, they
may have moved their shipping facilities)
They have two varieties:
Plastic "Check" disc about $300.00
Glass "Check" disc about $500.00
both in 48 hour turnaround.
A "check" disc is a one shot disc, usually
used to check the program content before
thousands are pressed. The above prices are
PER disc, so if you need 1000 of 'em, then
reproduce them appropriately.

KWG

"Another great mind lost to Kodak d76"

--
Kim W. Gordon - SWBT - Graphics / Media
One Bell Center - 7th Floor Graphics Center - St. Louis. MO. 63101.

rrohwedder@cdp.UUCP (08/16/89)

Thanks Jim and Kim.  Very helpful info.

After you've got a "check disc" that you're happy with,
can that be used as a master?  Say I want 100 copies of
the same disc.  Any idea about costs of reproducing the
same content over and over?

---

Rocky Rohwedder, Ph.D.
Dept of Environmental Studies and Planning, Sonoma State University
Rohnert Park, California  94928
UUCP:   uunet!pyramid!cdp!rrohwedder
PHONE:  707/664-2306   FAX:  707/664-2505

dd2u@hudson.acc.virginia.edu (drucker david) (08/21/89)

In article <133200002@cdp> rrohwedder@cdp.UUCP writes:

>Thanks Jim and Kim.  Very helpful info.
>
>After you've got a "check disc" that you're happy with,
>can that be used as a master?  Say I want 100 copies of
>the same disc.  Any idea about costs of reproducing the
>same content over and over?
>
>---
>
>Rocky Rohwedder, Ph.D.

Rocky,
    We have comp[leted our first master pressing this past spring. The cost
was app. $2100.00 for 80 copies.
    The procedure was to first get a check disk ($300.00) to check for
accuracy. Once this was done we sent in the master video tape on 1" to
Pioneer. They placed the information onto a master press (?) disk from
which they could make as many copies as we wanted. The cost of the
master press disk was around $1400. Eacg copy was $10.00 or so dollars.
    Once they had made the required number of disks, they destroy the master.
For another $900.00 or so they would store the master for a year incase we needed
more. I wish we had taken them up on this offer as we really would like
to have some more. To get them now we would have to have them make
another master at the $1400 mark.

    So in answer to your first question, no the check disk cannot be
used to make more copies. I hope this helps you a little bit.

David Drucker
Curry School of Education , University of Virginia
BITNET  DD2U@virginia.edu.bitnet

taylorj@yvax.byu.edu (08/22/89)

David Drucker says:

>    Once they had made the required number of disks, they destroy the master.
>For another $900.00 or so they would store the master for a year in case we
>need more. I wish we had taken them up on this offer as we really would like
>to have some more. To get them now we would have to have them make
>another master at the $1400 mark.

We've been sorry we didn't have masters saved also.  Another consideration is
that when you get a new master made you're not guaranteed that everything is
at the same frame number.

Jim Taylor
Microcomputer Support for Curriculum   |
Brigham Young University               |   Bitnet: taylorj@byuvax.bitnet
101 HRCB, Provo, UT  84602             |   Internet: taylorj@yvax.byu.edu

elliottd@novavax.UUCP (David A. Elliott) (08/22/89)

Having to master a videodisc will cost about $1500-1800.  It will
cost about $18 per copy thereafter.  Call Pioneer, Technedisc,
Scotch (3M), Dupont Phillips Optical for their pricing schedules.
Most have 800 phone numbers.  If not give me a call at (804)
873-3251 and I'll give you their phone numbers.

rrohwedder@cdp.UUCP (08/25/89)

Thanks David!  Yes, that's a big help.

And thanks to all who have rapidly moved me up the videodisc
learning curve.

-- Rocky