[comp.ivideodisc] Interactive Sources?

wheeler@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (10/27/89)

I am interested in tracking down (no pun intended) any and all sources of
interactive media on either 5" (usually CD ROM) or 12" (LaserDisc) discs.
Are there any bibliographies, catalogs, flyers, etc. to be ordered?
Recommendations, or simply just comments, on accompanying software programs
would be appreciated.  I am interested in developing teaching applications
with this technology.  My fields of specific interest are urban and regional
planning and environmental planning.  I have access to several systems and
(hopefully) the necessary equipment.  I will post e-mail responses, if
so requested.       Thanks in advance!  @  @
					 <

rnf@shumv1.uucp (Rick Fincher) (10/27/89)

In article <43000001@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu> wheeler@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>I am interested in tracking down (no pun intended) any and all sources of
>interactive media on either 5" (usually CD ROM) or 12" (LaserDisc) discs.
>Are there any bibliographies, catalogs, flyers, etc. to be ordered?
>Recommendations, or simply just comments, on accompanying software programs
>would be appreciated.  I am interested in developing teaching applications
>with this technology.  My fields of specific interest are urban and regional
>planning and environmental planning.  I have access to several systems and
>(hopefully) the necessary equipment.  I will post e-mail responses, if
>so requested.       Thanks in advance!  @  @
>					 <

You may want to contact Teaching Technologies, PO Box 3808, San Luis Obispo, CA
, 93403-3808.  They sell a whole range of products.  They also offer a pre-
mastering service for creating videodiscs.  Another Company is New Vision Tech-
nologies, 447 Burnett Ave., San Francisco, CA  94131-1330 (415) 285-8744. The
phone number for Teaching Tech. is (805) 541-3100.

Also Miami-Dade College has several products in this area.

You may want to consider a program called HyperStudio for the Apple IIgs.
It is much like HyperCard for the Mac but it has color and built in drivers
for several video disc players.  If you use it with the Apple II Video Over-
lay Card you can put your video on your RGB computer screen.  It is publish-
ed by Roger Wagner Publishing, 1050 Pioneer Way, Ste. P, El Cajon, CA,
92020, (619) 442-0522.

Rick

taylorj@yvax.byu.edu (10/30/89)

For educational videodiscs, try

Videodiscovery
P.O. Box 85878
Seattle, WA  98145-1878
(800)548-3472

For CAV discs that can be used for interactive media, try

Starship Industries
605 Utterback Store Road
Great Falls, VA  22066
(703)430-8692

LaserWorld
798 South Military Trail
Deerfield Beach, FL  33442
(800)343-9211

For educational CD-ROM titles, try

Educorp
531 Stevens Ave., Suite B
Solana Beach, CA  92075
(800)843-9497

These places will all send you a free catalog if you call and ask for one.

Jim Taylor
Microcomputer Support for Curriculum
Brigham Young University
taylorj@byuvax.bitnet

wheeler@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (10/31/89)

Here is a response I received via e-mail:

** Damn ** how do you read in text files with VI?

Oh well, the name of the company is _Optical Data Corporation_.  Their phone
number is 1-(800)-524-2481.