[comp.ivideodisc] PAL/NTSC ?

wheeler@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (11/22/89)

The Apple (UK)/BBC joint videodisc project "Ecodisc" is recorded in PAL.
I have a NTSC laserdisc player (Sony LDP 1500).  Am I simply out of luck,
or does anybody have a suggestion on how to solve this problem (other than
buying a PAL player)?  Thanks in advance.

brwk@doc.ic.ac.uk (Bevis King) (11/22/89)

In article <43000004@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu> wheeler@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>The Apple (UK)/BBC joint videodisc project "Ecodisc" is recorded in PAL.
>I have a NTSC laserdisc player (Sony LDP 1500).  Am I simply out of luck,
>or does anybody have a suggestion on how to solve this problem (other than
>buying a PAL player)?  Thanks in advance.

Your only solution to this problem is to buy a PAL capable player, but
this does not necessarily rule out playing NTSC discs on the same player.

In the industrial market, the Sony LDP-3600 can play both PAL and NTSC
LaserDiscs when used with a multi-standard monitor.

In the domestic market, the Sony MDP-515 with play both PAL and NTSC
LaserDiscs when used with a multi-standard monitor.  The Pioneer
CLD1450 will play both PAL and NTSC LaserDiscs on a PAL monitor.

So now you know what to choose for your next LaserDisc player :-)
Hope this info helps.

Regards, Bevis

Bevis King, Systems Programmer        |   Email:  brwk@doc.ic.ac.uk
Dept of Computing, Imperial College   |   UUCP :  brwk@icdoc.UUCP
180 Queens Gate, London, SW7 2BZ, UK. |   Voice:  +44 1 589 5111 x 5085
          "Never argue with a computer" ... Avon (Blake's 7)

kdb@InterCon.com (Kurt Baumann) (11/28/89)

One note:  You cannot just buy a PAL player.  You would also need to make
sure about your power source.  Some players can deal with both 50 and 60
cycle power.  Your best bet is to get one of the players that allows the
playing of both PAL and NTSC.

As an aside I recently saw a Video Tape Player, Video Disk Player, and TV
set of components that allowed you to stick any tape or disc in and it would
play it.  The TV would recieve either PAL or NTSC.  All pieces would automatically
switch the power supply to handle whatever current you happened to have.
Nice setup.  These people bought their equipment in Germany, I don't remember
who made it.  I think NEC.