[comp.ivideodisc] Performance of controlled home LD players

ronf@tesla.esd.sgi.com (Ron Fischer) (01/16/90)

Has anyone used an LD player controller, such as the Voyager unit, to
control a home LD player, such as the Pioneer CLV-1030?

I'm considering upgrading my home player and want to experiment with
visuals for storytelling (RPGs).

Do some home units seek significantly more quickly than others?

ron();

rnf@shumv1.uucp (Rick Fincher) (01/17/90)

In article <2830@odin.SGI.COM> ronf@tesla.esd.sgi.com (Ron Fischer) writes:
>Has anyone used an LD player controller, such as the Voyager unit, to
>control a home LD player, such as the Pioneer CLV-1030?

I'll be getting "The Box" from Voyager this week, I'll let you know how it
works.

>I'm considering upgrading my home player and want to experiment with
>visuals for storytelling (RPGs).

Are you adding to the unit or getting a new one?

If you are getting a new one, the 1070, 2070, and 3070 do seek faster
and the 3070 changes sides quicker than the older models.

>Do some home units seek significantly more quickly than others?

They do seek at different speeds, but I don't know if the different brands are
significantly different.  I do know that the newer 3070 seeks quite a bit
faster than the 3030, which was the equivalent machine of Pioneers earlier
models.  These are the only two I have seen side by side, but I have no
figures on the speeds.

Hope this helps!

Rick Fincher
rnf@shumv1.ncsu.edu