[comp.ivideodisc] ABC Interactive Update

Prodas@cup.portal.com (Henry Lewis Feldman) (02/21/90)

I am interested in getting into interactive video.  I have a Mac IIx.
What type of video disk player will work with the interactive stuff.

For example, is a Pioneer 1070 "good enough" or do you have to go higher?

Thanks.

Henry Feldman

sun!cup.portal.com!prodas

(713) 667-4222

Coyote@cup.portal.com (Mike W Neff) (02/26/90)

>I saw ABC's 88 Vote disk, and I thought they did a very good job with it
>as well.  I will have to keep my eye open for a chance to see this new one.
>Does anyone know what other topics they are thinking of doing?  They have
>a vast source for data.
>
>Kurt
>--

The Voyager Company is shipping a copy of "The Great Quake of 89" which
features Dianne Sawyer talking about the Loma Prieta Earthquake with
chapter indices, etc. and which is advertised as an "interactive" disc.
However, I didn't receive any software with it.

Speaking of software from Voyager, they have a box wi. software for allowing
the Mac to talk to quite a number of disc players, many of which aren't
necessarily industrial players, such as the Pioneer CLD3030 which uses
a DIN plug connection as opposed to a serial port.  They sell a number
of hypercard stacks to access some of the videodiscs they sell.

A videodisc store had this and I asked whether they had an interface for
the PC.  They replied that they had one that controlled some of the
industrial players, but that it didn't support a lot of the commercial
players like the Mac interface did.  Does anyone know what the reason
for this is?  Is the Voyager company waiting for a hypercard-like interface
for the PC?

Mike Neff
Coyote@portal.cup.com

klong@wilkins.bcm.tmc.edu (Kevin Long) (02/28/90)

In article <27338@cup.portal.com> Coyote@cup.portal.com (Mike W Neff) writes:

>...I asked [a videodisc store] whether they had an interface for
>the PC.
>...[what they had] didn't support a lot of the commercial
>players like the Mac interface did.  Does anyone know what the reason
>for this is?  Is the Voyager company waiting for a hypercard-like interface
>for the PC?
>
>Mike Neff
>Coyote@portal.cup.com

I spoke with a gentlemen at Voyager a couple of weeks ago who had just come
to work there specifically to write PC software to drive the commercial
videodisc players.  They're not making a product announcement or anything,
but he's working on it now.  Interested parties should call them up and
cheer them on.  Voyager seems to do better when encouraged.

	Kevin Long
	Baylor College of Medicine

mcw@wet.UUCP (Martin Warnett) (03/05/90)

In article <27338@cup.portal.com> Coyote@cup.portal.com (Mike W Neff) writes:
>A videodisc store had this and I asked whether they had an interface for
>the PC.  They replied that they had one that controlled some of the
>industrial players, but that it didn't support a lot of the commercial
>players like the Mac interface did.  Does anyone know what the reason

The following company sells the SIA III a serial interface for non-RS232
videodisc players that can be used with IBM-PC's, Amiga and Mac
computers:

	Visual Database Systems
        614 Bean Creek Road,
        Scotts Valley,
        CA 95066
        (408) 438-8396

I have the SIA-III hooked up to my Amiga, works great. Of course
this will not help you to run Voyager's Mac software on a PC or
Amiga.

No connection with the above company etc...

Martin.
--
| Martin Warnett          | uucp:   ...sun!claris!wet!mcw            |