[comp.ivideodisc] Interactive Video-disc.

roseg@TAURUS.BITNET (07/28/90)

Hi NetLanders,

I need info on available systems for interactive  video-disc
use.   Basically,  what  I'd  like  to  do  is  show  a film
sequence, pause and interact with the user. The  system  has
to  be  able to show moving sequences (single frame is of no
use to me).

I mention video-disc because this seems most likely - but if
you  have  knowledge  of  VCR with these capabilities or any
other media let me know.

Pure commercial blurbs are welcome.

Please mail directly -  I  will  summarize  to  the  net  if
there's enough interest.

                                        Robert
                                        roseg@taurus.bitnet
                                        roseg@tau.mat.ac.il

wilcox@hydra.unm.edu (Sherman Wilcox) (08/01/90)

You need to look into two items, one hardware the other software.
The hardware is the RasterOps Video Colorboard 364. It will allow you
to show live-action video images (e.g., from camera, VCR, or I-Videodisk)
in a window on your color Mac monitor (32 bit color). The software is
MacroMind Director.

I am not yet using this equipment but soon will be, to do a multimedia
sign language dictionary (words and definitions stored on videodisk,
interface done in Hypercard and Director). From what I have been able
to determine (users, reviews, friends, etc) these are two excellent products.

If you'd like more info, give me about a month and then contact me. I
should be up and running by then on my dictionary project.

Good luck!

taylorj@yvax.byu.edu (08/02/90)

This is a pretty vague question, so here is a vague answer:

You can do interactive video with both videodisc or video tape.  The main
disadvantage to tape is that it's slower than disc.  There are a number of
commercial hardware boxes that let a computer control certain videotape players
with complete accuracy.

There are many models of videodisc players designed to be computer controlled.
All you need is a serial connection between your computer and the player.

You can either use a separate TV monitor for the player or you can buy a
special card to combine computer video and videodisc video on the computer
screen (the cards run from $600 to $5000).

All this can be done both with Macintosh and IBM PCs.  There are special
toolkits for HyperCard that make it very easy to control almost all videodisc
players.  The same toolkits are just beginning to appear for ToolBook (which
requires Windows 3.0) on the IBM.

If you need more specific information than this, ask some specific questions.

Jim Taylor
Microcomputer Support for Curriculum   |
Brigham Young University               |   Bitnet: taylorj@byuvax.bitnet
101 HRCB, Provo, UT  84602             |   Internet: taylorj@yvax.byu.edu

stevem@sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM (Steve McClure) (08/02/90)

+
[...]

Don't forget the Amiga, with the new AmigaVision package VideoDisc control
is a snap.  A very powerful and simple package.  No toolkits needed.

Steve		email: Steve.McClure@Columbia.NCR.COM	803-791-7054
The above are my opinions, which NCR doesn't really care about anyway!
CAUSER's Amiga BBS! | 803-796-3127 | 8pm-8am 8n1 | 300/1200/2400

martin@IRO.UMontreal.CA (Daniel Martin) (08/02/90)

In article <1455taylorj@yvax.byu.edu> taylorj@yvax.byu.edu writes:
>You can either use a separate TV monitor for the player or you can buy a
>special card to combine computer video and videodisc video on the computer
>screen (the cards run from $600 to $5000).
>
>All this can be done both with Macintosh and IBM PCs.  There are special
>toolkits for HyperCard that make it very easy to control almost all videodisc
>players.
>
>Jim Taylor

   All this can be done cheaply on an Amiga PC.  Genlock cards for most
application range from 200-700$.  Drivers for major videodisc players are
available on AmigaVision authoring system (packaged free, like hypercard).

   Of all the machine, the IBM pc's are the less appropriate to multimedia
application [1].  All features must be bought separatly (authoring systems,
interface card, driver, ...)  The macintosh offer a better solution, although
video genlocking card and frame buffers are still quite expensive.

   Daniel.