[comp.ivideodisc] comp.multimedia anyone?

a544@mindlink.UUCP (Rick McCormack) (11/15/90)

I for one would welcome any terminology that did not owe allegiance to
multi-image slide shows using audio and video (know for a long time as
multi-media) or vast conglomerates of broadcast-newspaper-radio chains (among
the biggest: MultiMedia, located I believe in the southwest US).

And I think we are a small enough group that we could stand for a year catering
to sequential or non-sequential _poly_media messages.  Most users of
interactive video will have a passing interest in _poly_media affairs.

Finally, I have seen the NEC Cowboy.  I have not played with it yet [the owner
wouldn't let me! :-(  ]

It looks much like a standard vcr, with a few (!) extra connectors.  More when
I have had my hands on it, with some _real_ times on tape handling.

ittai@shemesh.GBA.NYU.EDU (Ittai Hershman) (11/16/90)

There really ought to be a newsgroup for general multimedia
discussions.  Given that comp.ivideodisc does not carry much traffic,
perhaps we should broaden its scope and perhaps even go through the
hassle of renaming it to comp.multimedia.

-Ittai

clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Kathy Strong) (11/16/90)

In article <7201@shemesh.GBA.NYU.EDU> ittai@shemesh.GBA.NYU.EDU (Ittai
Hershman) writes:

>There really ought to be a newsgroup for general multimedia
>discussions.  Given that comp.ivideodisc does not carry much traffic,
>perhaps we should broaden its scope and perhaps even go through the
>hassle of renaming it to comp.multimedia.

Yeah, I have always assumed that it's okay to talk about non-IVD multi-
media type stuff here... I don't know how much trouble it would be to
rename the group, but I suspect that broadening it to comp.multimedia
would cause posting traffic to pick up at least a little. I'm for it.

By the way, I've gotten several email replies to my re-posting the article
from comp.sys.mac.hardware about the NEC Cowboy (very high speed VHS player)--
all saying, more or less, "Do you know anything about it?"  No, I don't.
Doesn't anyone who reads this group have one? :-)

--K

:   Kathy Strong               :  "Try our Hubble-Rita: just one shot,     :
:  (Clouds moving slowly)      :   and everything's blurry"                :
:   clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu  :                           --El Arroyo     :
:..........................................................................:

lark@tivoli.UUCP (Lar Kaufman) (11/16/90)

In article <7201@shemesh.GBA.NYU.EDU> ittai@shemesh.GBA.NYU.EDU (Ittai Hershman) writes:
>There really ought to be a newsgroup for general multimedia
>discussions.  Given that comp.ivideodisc does not carry much traffic,
>perhaps we should broaden its scope and perhaps even go through the
>hassle of renaming it to comp.multimedia.

Yeah, not a bad idea... but multimedia isn't necessarily interactive,
nor even non-sequential.  Hypermedia isn't a good term either, having
been devalued by the MacMarketing types "hyping" the nature of hypertext.

I would suggest comp.polymedia.  I coined the term "polymedia" several
years ago when I was running a BBS with a discussion area for the
group that became the Computer Video SIG of the Boston Computer Society.

To understand the nuance of "polymedia":  it stands in relation to
"multimedia" in the way that "polyphonal" stands in relation to
"multiphonal" (or polytonal/multitonal).

Best of all, this is not a term that marketing types have already
taken to mean whatever it is that their product happens to do.

-lar

--
---------                             TIVOLI Systems, Inc.
Lar Kaufman      512-454-3301         (voice) 512-329-2455

marc@porsche944.Eng.Sun.COM (Marc Schneider) (11/17/90)

The group already exsist as far as I know. It's call comp.mail.multi-media
and they duplicate all the traffic of this newsgroup. It's also not
very big (though I don't know why). I suspect this has something to
do with the numerous MacIntosh related multi-media groups that are more
specific in nature like hypercard and such...

 Personnaly I find the Mac groups very dull and to focused. Perhaps the
answer would be to eliminate comp.ivideodisc and just change over to
comp.mail.multi-media?

-Marc Schnider
Sun Microsystems

*                          *                                        *
* Marc T. Schneider        * "My veels, my god, I can't move my     *
* Sun Microsystems, Inc.   *  veels" - Doctor Von Scott             *
* 2550 Garcia Ave MS 21-01 *                                        *
* Mountain View, Ca 94043  * Ph:(415) 336-6747  Fax: (415) 968-3936 *
*                          *                                        *

ittai@shemesh.GBA.NYU.EDU (Ittai Hershman) (11/18/90)

> The group already exsist as far as I know. It's call comp.mail.multi-media
> and they duplicate all the traffic of this newsgroup.

I disagree.  Comp.mail.multi-media is a highly specialized group -- as
multimedia mail must coexist with e-mail standards and transport issues
(i.e. "multimedia" modifies "mail" in that group).  The reason for the
duplicate traffic is because there is no clear home for multimedia
issues, so people like me crosspost to two or three groups.

I would prefer to see a comp.multimedia which could be expanded in the
future (if traffic warrants it) to things like: comp.multimedia.desktop,
comp.multimedia.interactive, comp.multimedia.dvi, comp.multimedia.standards,
etc.

Finally, whether we like it or not the term "multimedia" has stuck to
this stuff.  I suggest its use in the title simply because it is the term
which most people associate with the topic and is therefore most likely
to attract those who are interested.  Yes it is ambigous, but in a good
way for our purposes.  Comp.multimedia is short, sweet, and to the point.

-Ittai