[comp.ivideodisc] Questions

tfeliz@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Tom Feliz) (11/18/90)

	I realize that I am a neophyte compared to most of the people in
 this news group, but I figure there is some here who can answer my questions.
	I have been a computer hobbyist for many years and am now very
interested in making a break into the multi-media field.  I want to start a
business that deals primarily with educational and training projects.

	My questions are:
		1) What are some good books and magazines to read?
		2) What computer is most popular for multi-media?
		3) What is used more, Video tapes or laser disks?
		4) What would be a good setup for a beginner?
		5) Who makes the cards that display both computer
		   and video data on the same screen?
		6) What is the usual procedure to record video images on
		   a laser disk or a video tape?
		7) What programs are good for animation?
		8) How is the educational market? Is it saturated?

	Please send me Email or even post it on the Net and we can get some
discussion going.
					Thanks,
						Tom Feliz
						tomf@jarthur.claremont.edu

clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Kathy Strong) (11/19/90)

In article <9676@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> tfeliz@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Tom Feliz) writes:

>		1) What are some good books and magazines to read?
>		2) What computer is most popular for multi-media?
>		3) What is used more, Video tapes or laser disks?
>		4) What would be a good setup for a beginner?
>		5) Who makes the cards that display both computer
>		   and video data on the same screen?
>		6) What is the usual procedure to record video images on
>		   a laser disk or a video tape?
>		7) What programs are good for animation?
>		8) How is the educational market? Is it saturated?

I hope no one will mind my posting--I don't think this group suffers from an
overuse of bandwidth! I can fill in a few gaps for Tom; hope someone else will
come forth with answers for others.

Books? beats me. The magazines I see on a regular basis are Computer Based
Training Directions (CBT Directions) and Instructional Delivery Systems. These
mags both have a fairly low signal-to-noise ratio, but occasionally I find
something good in one or the other.

What's your favorite computer?  :-) Depending on who you ask, you'll find that
THE best computer for multimedia is Mac, DOS, Amiga... etc. I work with a
company doing video production with a significant fraction of its work being
delivered as Interactive Videodisc. We use a DOS platform, largely because it
has the largest choice of "authoring" (gawd, how I hate that word) software,
broadest assortment of peripherals, and biggest installed based. I myself am
a Mac person at heart, and am pleased to discover that we may soon be working
on a Mac-based product.  I've read a lot of interesting stuff about the
low cost and high performance of Amiga's multimedia stuff, but I've never had
a chance to put my hands on it. And so it goes.

Laserdiscs are the default for interactive video because of the access time
problem. An interactive program, as opposed to a linear one, presumably
does not flow in an A-B-C sequence but rather allows the user to pick and
choose... A-D-C-X-F-F-B ... what he/she wants to see. So, it becomes very
important to have a delivery system that can move from point A to point X
in an amount of time that won't cause your user to get bored and walk away.
Videotapes, in their current form at least, can't provide random access.
A few weeks ago I copied a posting from c.s.m.hardware about the NEC Cowboy,
a VCR unit reputed to be able to FF a 120-minute tape in under 60 seconds.
With careful editing, such a player MIGHT be acceptable for low-end multi-
media, which is why I cross-posted, hoping that someone might have one and
report on it to us! :-)

Questions 4 and 5 (best beginner system and info on overlay cards) are too
individual to answer. Some important overall criteria are: speedy processor,
speedy hard disk, speedy video card... oh yeah, lots of disk space if you're
going to be doing much with graphic overlays.

Laserdiscs are usually made from 1/2" tapes. Even though laserdisc access is
fast, there are still editing considerations in that you want to try to keep
segments that will logically be accessed close together, physically close
together on the disc. Problem is that tape is linear and laserdiscs are not...

The education market is definitely NOT oversaturated. Schools are just now
starting to get laserdiscs into their budgets. If you're really interested in
targeting the education market, some of your other questions may be answered
for you: determine what hardware your schools are using for delivery, and
there you have it--your authoring hardware is at least narrowed down to an
single operating system!

Course, I haven't touched on next year's developments, like video compression
for digital video....

Truly, my best recommendation would be to try to find a company who's doing
multimedia now and get a position with them--it's an awfully big and new field
to have to make your own purchasing decisions without the benefit of some
prior experience.

--Kathy

:   Kathy Strong               :  "Try our Hubble-Rita: just one shot,     :
:  (Clouds moving slowly)      :   and everything's blurry"                :
:   clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu  :                           --El Arroyo     :
:..........................................................................:

greg@tcnz2.tcnz.co.nz (Greg Calkin) (11/21/90)

Another novice question or two
1) How do you handle producing a videodisc to cope with VGA colour and to
   cope with mono on a MAC, for instance. Are there standard image conversion
   techniques to allow the production of a IV across a broad range of hardware.
2) If I show a constant frame on screen, how do I store running dialogue
   without changing the picture. Similarly, can I store a screen then run
   graphics or text over it without using more than 1 screen picture.
3) Is there a standard gaphics / text primitive language with sound i.e.
   Show this frame, run this graphics program to highlight screen areas, with
   this sound track running, all synchronised ?
4) Where do the differences between PAL and NTSC come into things, or do
   you roll your own format ?

Just curious to see how things are in the IV industry.
--
Greg Calkin, Systems Engineer and Dreamer                    (greg@tcnz.co.nz)
Thomas Cook N.Z. Limited, PO Box 24, Auckland CPO, New Zealand, Ph (09)-793920

clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Kathy Strong) (11/24/90)

In article <473@tcnz2.tcnz.co.nz> greg@tcnz.co.nz (Greg Calkin) writes:

>Another novice question or two

I kept waiting for all those people who tell me I'm not alone to help
Greg out, but I guess they're all home for the Thanksgiving holidays. :-)
So here goes.

>1) How do you handle producing a videodisc to cope with VGA colour and to
>   cope with mono on a MAC, for instance. Are there standard image conversion
>   techniques to allow the production of a IV across a broad range of hardware.

The videodisc itself doesn't care about color standards, if I understand
what you're asking. The overlay card you choose will determine what kind
of graphics (i.e., how many colors and the HxW resolution) your monitor will
be able to display. On the PC-based system we're using, we have Visage 1910
overlay cards, which we use to display 640x480 x 256 color images (i.e.,
VGA resolution + 256 colors). In our case, it is given that the program will
only be shown on a workstation that is exactly like ours. I've worked with
a system where you could store images of different resolution in different
directories and the software would query the user for their resolution type
and then default to the appropriate directory... like this

At program creation, each graphic image is created twice: at EGA resolution
  and at VGA resolution.
EGA images are stored in directory \EGA
VGA images are stored in directory \VGA
Throughout program, when an image is required it is named \"dir"\saturn.pcx
  or whatever...

At runtime:
Program asks user: EGA? VGA?
   User answers: VGA
Program records answer in variable "dir"
Then whenever an image is called it substitutes VGA for "dir" and finds
the image as \vga\saturn.pcx

If the user had replied EGA, it would look for the image in the EGA dir.

>2) If I show a constant frame on screen, how do I store running dialogue
>   without changing the picture. Similarly, can I store a screen then run
>   graphics or text over it without using more than 1 screen picture.

We do this by recording additional audio ("B track audio"), using the
features of our disc player (Pioneer LDV-8000) to "grab" the video frame,
then moving to the audio location, selecting audio B, and playing the bit.
Then, of course, you have to move to your NEXT video, then ungrab the frame
(if you do these in reverse order, you'll have some random picture--the
picture associated with the B-track audio). Not all players can do this.
Another solution would be to record your audio digitally (i.e., on the
computer's hard disk, not on the laserdisc). Then you just hold one frame
on the laserdisc and tell the computer to play the audio. Very wasteful of
HD space, and the quality isn't great, but it can be done.

>3) Is there a standard gaphics / text primitive language with sound i.e.
>   Show this frame, run this graphics program to highlight screen areas, with
>   this sound track running, all synchronised ?

You're asking about "authoring languages," I think. Most Mac applications
seem to have centered on Hypercard/Supercard. I believe MacroMind Director 2.0
has some "authoring" built in.  I find Hypercard etc. a little generic to
be really useful as multimedia authoring tools. On the PC side there is
IconAuthor, Quest, Instant Replay, Guide.. (whoops, Guide is also a Mac
product). Amigas have AmigaVision, The Director... etc. Authoring languages
seem to be shaking out to one of two models: either a graphic-oriented
model, where you build a flowchart and that is your program; or a language-
oriented one, like C or Pascal.

>4) Where do the differences between PAL and NTSC come into things, or do
>   you roll your own format ?

I suspect that NTSC/PAL differences are going to be significant for your
choice of monitor, overlay card, videodisc, and videodisc player. I'm
not really up on this subject--anyone else?

--Kathy

:   Kathy Strong               :  "Try our Hubble-Rita: just one shot,     :
:  (Clouds moving slowly)      :   and everything's blurry"                :
:   clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu  :                           --El Arroyo     :
:..........................................................................:

young@brahms.udel.edu (Phillip Young) (11/24/90)

   I'm starting to feel guilty sitting on the sidelines.  I guess I'll
jump into the game for this one.

>>4) Where do the differences between PAL and NTSC come into things, or do
>>   you roll your own format ?
>>

>I suspect that NTSC/PAL differences are going to be significant for your
>choice of monitor, overlay card, videodisc, and videodisc player. I'm
>not really up on this subject--anyone else?

   The biggest question with NTSC vs. PAL is where you intend to
distribute your product.  NTSC is the official standard in the U.S.
while PAL is the standard of choice in Europe and much of the rest of
the world.  Thus, if you intend to market in the U.S. of A. NTSC is the
most appropriate choice.  There have been some interesting discussions in
comp.graphics on the relative technical merits of the two formats.
  I have heard a rumor that there is a videodisc player on the market
which will play both formats.  Has anyone heard of such a beast?  (I
would LIKE to believe this is true.)  There are overlay cards, such as
IBM's M-Motion, which will support both NTSC and PAL input.  This kind
of system helps to reduce system configuration restrictions a bit.

PurpleTiger@cup.portal.com (Grant Christopher Blaha) (11/25/90)

In <473@tcnz2.tcnz.co.nz> greg@tcnz.co.nz (Greg Calkin) writes:

>Another novice question or two

Everyone's a novice who only knows a slice or two of a big pie.  In other
words, no need to apologize.

>1) How do you handle producing a videodisc to cope with VGA colour and to
>   cope with mono on a MAC, for instance. Are there standard image conversion
>   techniques to allow the production of a IV across a broad range of hardware
.

Your question is refering to two different kinds of media, Videodisc and
hard disk.  A videodisc offers one kind of display standard, analog,
while the hard disk offers another, digital.

Videodisc media is a platform onto itself that has little to do with
computers.  To place this media under computer control one needs special
hardware for whatever computer platform one uses.  So, to answer one part
of your question, videodiscs do not need to be convertered from IBM PC to MAC
to AMIGA to SUN to HP.  They stay the same regardless of computer
platform. Its the responsibility of the special hardware on any given
platform to interface correctly to the videodisc.

Hard disk based media is a different story.  By hard disk, I mean any kind
of image or animation that is stored in a digital form on a general purpose
computer storage device whether it be magnetic or optical.  This where you
start to get concerned about what computer platform you are on and what
file format you are using to store your images.  In addition to worrying
about the computer platform, you also have to worry about the hundreds of
display adapters that can be installed in any given computer.  Sure, its
possible to translate your images from one computer to another and one
format to another, but invariably the differences in resolution and color
depth insures that image data will be lost or the new machine or format
will be under utilized.

Your choice of media is a cost/quality sort of thing.

Videodiscs offer portablity, high quality images, animation and sound,
quick access, and dense information storage.  The drawback to videodisc
media is that its expensive.  Very expensive. Both in terms of hardware
cost and man hours.  Does anyone know how much a videodisc development
station would cost? A playback station?

Hard disks suffer from lack of portability, low image, animation and sound
quality, slow access, and a lack of information space.  The advantage they
have is that they are inexpensive and easy to work with.  On an IBM PC
plaform, for example, you can have animation and sound for a few thousand
or less.  Digital media also offers a level of interactivity that makes
authoring a relatively painless task.  Another advantage of digital media
is that its going somewhere.  Every week something happens to lessen the
short comings of digital media while videodisc media is standing still.

Gee, I could go on and on about this, but rather than ramble further, I
wonder if anyone wants to chime in.  The point I wish to make to Greg is
that there are two kinds of media involved in interactive video and that
its important not to confuse them where implementation issues are involved.
Each has its own set of problems, advantages, and techniques.

Grant Blaha
Autodesk Multimedia
Product Support
{grantb@autodesk.com}

marquet@bohra.cpg.oz (John Marquet) (11/26/90)

In article <16111@brahms.udel.edu>, young@brahms.udel.edu (Phillip Young) writes:
> >I suspect that NTSC/PAL differences are going to be significant for your
> >choice of monitor, overlay card, videodisc, and videodisc player. I'm
> >not really up on this subject--anyone else?
> >
>    The biggest question with NTSC vs. PAL is where you intend to
> distribute your product.  NTSC is the official standard in the U.S.
> while PAL is the standard of choice in Europe and much of the rest of
> the world.  Thus, if you intend to market in the U.S. of A. NTSC is the
> most appropriate choice.
>   I have heard a rumor that there is a videodisc player on the market
> which will play both formats.  Has anyone heard of such a beast?  (I
> would LIKE to believe this is true.)  There are overlay cards, such as
> IBM's M-Motion, which will support both NTSC and PAL input.  This kind
> of system helps to reduce system configuration restrictions a bit.

The latest Sony LDP 3600 is reputed to play NTSC and PAL discs.  Similarly,
Sony has for some time made video monitors which will accept PAL, NTSC or SECAM
mode input.

We put out a product, POSSUM (Pictures of Standard Syndromes and Undiagnosed
Malformations) in PAL and NTSC.  The generic master is on 35mm film, the first
dub master is on one inch PAL video tape.  It is now well within the state of
the art to transfer images from PAL to NTSC.  The only catch is that if you're
transferring stills, you need frame-by-frame accuracy; if you're transferring
movies you use five NTSC frames to generate six PAL frames.  The NTSC to PAL
conversion and vice versa is routine in the domain of TV.