[comp.ivideodisc] Call for discussion: comp.multimedia

ittai@shemesh.gba.nyu.edu (Ittai Hershman) (11/26/90)

Proposal:   The creation of a newsgroup called "comp.multimedia"
	    to discuss interactive multimedia technologies and
	    applications: systems which combine text, graphic images,
	    animation, sound, and/or video, with computer technology.

	    The newsgroup would promote discussion of relevant
	    technologies (e.g. DVI, CD-I, CD ROM, videodisc)
	    applications and methodologies.

Rationale:  At present there is no newsgroup which addresses
            "multimedia" technology and applications per se.

	    There are three groups which discuss specialized
	    aspects: comp.mail.multi-media, comp.ivideodisc
	    and comp.cog-eng.  None, however, is regarded as
	    a focal point for "multimedia" and all suffer from
	    crossposts as a result.

	    "Multimedia" is a group of technologies with a lot
	    of momentum, in the same way that "AI" and "groupware"
	    have been before.  As these technologies and their
	    applications mature, traffic may dictate the formation
	    of subgroups (like: comp.multimedia.interactive,
	    comp.multimedia.desktop, comp.multimedia.dvi, etc.).
	    At the moment, however, one forum with one unified name
	    would be best in my opinion.

Naming:     Ten days ago I floated the idea for "comp.multimedia" on
	    the comp.ivideodisc newsgroup.  The reaction was positive,
	    but a number of people voiced dissatisfaction with the
	    term "multimedia".  One person typified the naming problem
	    when he stated: "The lexical token `multimedia' is pretty
	    much debased."  Alternatives such as "polymedia" and
	    "new-media" were suggested.

	    My response to these concerns is that whether we like it or
	    not the term "multimedia" has stuck to this stuff.  I
	    suggest its use in the title simply because it is the term
	    which most people associate with the topic and is therefore
	    most likely to attract those who are interested.

	    I hope we do not spend the next month -- the alotted time
	    for discussion before a vote, arguing about neologisms.

Unless this gets bogged down in hopeless disagreement (which I hope
does not occur), I will continue the process with a "call for vote" on
December 15th.  I ask all interested parties to voice an opinion on
news.groups in response to this message (preferably positive :-) and
to vote accordingly (via e-mail) in response to the "call for vote" on
December 15th.

Ittai Hershman
Associate Director of Academic Computing
NYU Stern School of Business

taylorj@yvax.byu.edu (11/30/90)

I agree completely that there needs to be a group (or groups) addressing
multimedia, and that the current group (comp.ivideodisc) is inappropriately
named.

I also agree with posters who feel that comp.video would be confused with
rec.video.  Never underestimate the stupidity of net users.

I also agree (I'm a very agreeable person :-) that in spite of the problem
with the name, a "comp.video" group would be useful for those using
computers for video production or desktop video but not for interactive
multimedia.

Therefore, I suggest a naming scheme something like the following:

A base name of "comp.media" with group names such as
   comp.media.video or comp.media.
   comp.media.multimedia or comp.media.interactive

A big advantage of this naming scheme is that as groups get too crowded or
as new areas develop it would be easy to add new groups such as
comp.media.audio, comp.media.dvi, comp.media.video-compression, etc.

If this isn't acceptable, I'd at least like to make an objection to the term
"multimedia."  I would prefer "interactive multimedia" or even the broader
"interactive media."  If the name comp.interactive-media is too long, I
suppose it could be shortened to comp.imedia.

By the way, is this discussion supposed to take place in comp.ivideodisc or
news.announce.newgroups?  (I'd crosspost if my newsreader let me.)

Jim Taylor
Microcomputer Support for Curriculum  |
Brigham Young University              |  Bitnet: taylorj@byuvax.bitnet
101 HRCB, Provo, UT  84602            |  Internet: taylorj@yvax.byu.edu

a544@mindlink.UUCP (Rick McCormack) (12/02/90)

I wonder if we could consider a name for the group that stresses the
*Inter-Active* rather than the *Multi-Media*?   As this group is called
*Ivideo*, (I feel the I-part could be expanded to IA as in IAVideo), a logical
step would be to *Comp.IAmedia*.
| Rick McCormack |  IMAGISTICS BUSINESS THEATRE TECHNOLOGY    |
| Vancouver,  BC |  Information transfer - with a purpose.    |
|     CANADA     |  ________________________________________  |
|  AOL:  Rique   |  INTERACTIVE  COMPREHENSIVE  ENLIGHTENING  |
|________________|____________________________________________|

young@brahms.udel.edu (Phillip Young) (12/04/90)

   I agree with the base note.  The term "multimedia" has stuck to this
technology.  This term will be easily recognized by those who are interested.
We can debate about the PERFECT name forever, but I'd rather not wait
forever for the newsgroup to be formed.

lark@tivoli.UUCP (Lar Kaufman) (12/05/90)

In article <4011@mindlink.UUCP> a544@mindlink.UUCP (Rick McCormack) writes:
>I wonder if we could consider a name for the group that stresses the
>*Inter-Active* rather than the *Multi-Media*?   As this group is called
>*Ivideo*, (I feel the I-part could be expanded to IA as in IAVideo), a logical
>step would be to *Comp.IAmedia*.

I like Kathy Strong's suggestion for comp.interactive, I think (unless there
is a groundswell of preference for comp.polymedia, of course).  I don't
know that I want to see too much convergence of the computer-video stuff
into the interactive media stuff - there is a lot of computer video
activity that is non-interactive and not multimedia.

I still have to object strongly to comp.multimedia.  Multimedia is almost
useless as a descriptive word.  I went to a multimedia art show recently,
that featured art, for example, of papier-mache, gouache, and acrylic.  I
have attended multimedia lectures with three slide projectors and a
tape player.  I have seen a multimedia tutorial that I just sat and watched
after pressing the Enter key.

Interactive is the key word here.  (I have no objection to subsuming
hypertext into the group.)

-lar

--
Lar Kaufman            I would feel more optimistic about a bright future
(voice) 512-329-2455   for man if he spent less time proving that he can

ittai@shemesh.GBA.NYU.EDU (Ittai Hershman) (12/05/90)

> I still have to object strongly to comp.multimedia.  Multimedia is almost
> useless as a descriptive word.  I went to a multimedia art show recently,
> that featured art, for example, of papier-mache, gouache, and acrylic.  I
> have attended multimedia lectures with three slide projectors and a
> tape player.  I have seen a multimedia tutorial that I just sat and watched
> after pressing the Enter key.

First.  According to the Usenet guidelines (and reiterated in my
proposal) discussions take place in the newsgroup news.groups.

Second.  I have received a pile of e-mail responses which have been
favorable to comp.multimedia both the group and the name (including
one from Kathy Strong whom you mention by name).  And most of the
traffic to news.groups is favorable.

Third, I volunteered to do this because I think its important that
we have a proper forum in which to discuss this stuff.  This is not
what I get paid to do.  It takes two plus months to get a newsgroup
going, and I am willing to go through that process.  I really think
that we should devote our energies to making the newsgroup a success
rather than quibbling about the name.

Finally, here is a summary of why comp.multimedia is the best name:

1. As has been pointed out by a number of people, rec.multimedia
   would be the right place for slide-show type multimedia.  Because
   comp.multimedia is in the comp group, it is pretty obvious that
   interactive multimedia is being discussed.

2. The press calls this stuff "multimedia" (from the NY Times and
   Wall Street Journal to Computerworld, PC Week, Datamation etc.).

3. The industry calls it "multimedia" -- not just Apple, but IBM,
   Microsoft, Digital, Sun and HP.

4. Even if it were a lousy term, most Usenet participants are most
   likely to find it under this name.

5. Even USENIX is calling this stuff "multimedia".  I just received
   the Call for Papers for the Usenix Summer 1991 conference in the
   US mail this morning.  Guess what its called:

	"MULTIMEDIA - FOR NOW AND THE FUTURE"

   And I see no mention of multimedia slide shows as being an
   appropriate topic for discussion at that forum.  In fact, they
   outline the same basic things I did in my proposal -- "systems
   integrating voice, video, audio, touch, or music".  I imagine an
   online version will be posted to comp.org.usenix soon.

Enough?  I think so.  Let's get the show on the road, folks, and
start discussing content rather than nomenclature.

-Ittai

young@brahms.udel.edu (Phillip Young) (12/05/90)

>I still have to object strongly to comp.multimedia.  Multimedia is almost
>useless as a descriptive word.  I went to a multimedia art show recently,
>that featured art, for example, of papier-mache, gouache, and acrylic.  I
>have attended multimedia lectures with three slide projectors....
>
>Interactive is the key word here...

   Yes, but virtually EVERY computer program is interactive these days.
Just as "multimedia" has different connotations depending on whether you
come from a fine arts, boardroom presentation, or computing perspective;
so does "interactive".  To a video producer "interactive" connotes
interactive video.  This may be as simple as a level I videodisc and
doesn't involve a computer at all.  To a programmer interactive is
simply getting data, interactively, from the user.

  I agree that multimedia isn't the perfect name.  But, virtually every
industry magazine (Dr. Dobbs, Infoworld, Byte, etc.) use the term to refer
to what (IMHO) this group is about.  Any other name could cause potential
new subscribers to pass us by.