[comp.ivideodisc] How much on a CD?

a544@mindlink.UUCP (Rick McCormack) (11/25/90)

in an article, Sherman Wilcox
writes:

>And now, a question for anyone out there who might be reading >this. I keep
hearing that we will soon have the technology to >do a project like this on
CD-ROM. Does anyone have any idea >approximately how much full-motion video we
can expect to >store on a CD-ROM? I realize this depends on many things (as >I
understand it, picture size, frames per second, compression >factors, etc). Any
ballpark figures?

I remeber hearing that we could expect to get less than 20 minutes of realtime
video, when they get the new CD-I, CD-X, CD-A discs functional.  CD-I is
supposedly well into the development stage, but that has been said for 14
months now.  CD-X is in use industrially (anyone out there using this beast
yet?)

I have figures here from a research project this summer - but I can't FIND them
yet!!!  When I clear my desk, I will post a more definitive answer.
| Rick McCormack |  IMAGISTICS BUSINESS THEATRE TECHNOLOGY   |
| Vancouver,  BC |  Information transfer - with a purpose.   |
|     CANADA     |  INTERACTIVE  COMPREHENSIVE  ENLIGHTENING |
|________________|___________________________________________|

pweiss@iwarp.intel.com (Paul Weiss (pweiss@iwarp.intel.com)) (11/29/90)

Hi.  "How much {picture,sound} time can ya fit on a CD?" is a
deceptively complicated question.  CD-I and DVI use the same
underlying medium (as do CD-DA and CD-ROM, fundamentally) but make
different choices about how to use the bandwidth.  The disc can hold
about 640Kb of "stuff", in any case.  As far as video goes, DVI uses
fancy (and very proprietary) compression/ decompression to allow
sustained full-screen, full-motion pictures.  I think the compression
factor varies in some way with the material, from a low of 10:1 to a
high of about 100:1.  (Can anybody do a better job on that?  Please
followup!)  Although decompression can be done in real time, with
Intel's 2-chip set, compression is a mainframe mega-cycles kind of
proposition, with supercomputer-class machines ideal.

CD-I doesn't specify any video compression, so is unable to support
full-screen, full-motion rates: there just ain't enough raw bits
flowing off the disc to get it.  You can have full-motion partial
screen video (to a max of about 1/3 of the screen), or "slow-scan"
styled jerky full-screen video - about 8 or 10 frames/sec, if I
remember correctly.  (I'm dipping 'way back on this stuff.  I worked
on a CD-I authoring system about 2 1/2 years ago while I was in the
Advanced Development / New Media Workstation group at Sun; the work was
done under contract for Philips, who, along with Sony, is the source
of all the CD-xx standards.  The stuff I'm saying may be wrong based
on revs to the Green Book which I don't know about.  Of course, it may
also be bogus because - in my mom's words - "I'm up to the 'z' in
Altzheimer's!")

CD-I does a much better job on audio.  It supports 4 or 5 different
encodings, ranging from CD-DA tracks on a CD-I disc, to an encoding
which uses half that space and bandwidth, giving twice the time, all
the way to a "voice-grade mono" encoding which would allow 20 hours of
sound.  Most listeners can't tell the difference between the CD-DA and
the half-rate encoding.  Although the sound quality of the most
efficient encoding is noticibly tinny for music, it's just fine for
voice information.  The other encodings I haven't identified lie
between those extremes, and can be used to juggle time-space and audio
quality in situations where the listener's attention is more-or-less
taken up with visual data.  CD-I's audio encoding doesn't have nearly
the compute-time requirements as DVI's video encoding, and has been
done successfully on PC-class authoring stations.

For slide-show styled titles, using a combination of still video
images, computer-generated box-and-arrow markup, cartoon graphics
animation, and voice-over, CD-I will be a terrific medium.  For things
which want a lot of whizzy full-motion video, DVI will probably do a
better job.  Both of them will do a better job than the current
platform-dependent CD-ROMs will.  (There is another flavor of
Sony-Philips disc which adds CD-I audio encoding to the CD-ROM
standard, but the thing is still highly platform-dependent.)  DVI
shares the same platform-dependence as CD-ROM, at least in theory, but
the new 2-chip set should make the appearence of dedicated DVI players
economically possible.  CD-I was designed from the start as
mass-market consumer technology.  The question will, I bet, finally
work out to a question of time-to-market and title production.  Both
media are usable, neither is perfect.  Both benefit from the economies
of scale generated by the success of consumer CD-DA technology, which
has not been available to the "big-disk" videodisk marketplace.

By the way, I would very much appreciate pointers to companies and
organizations working in computer-based new media in the Portland, OR,
area.  I miss working with this stuff, and would like to find out
what's going on around here.  Tanx.

		Paul
Paul Weiss                <- Mangler, systems software, Intel/CMU iWarp project
pweiss@iWarp.intel.com    <- I wouldn't even try the "reply" key, were I you.
(503)629-6371             <- ... as in "webby feets"
Standard disclaimer: Yep. <- Strange powers speak through me, but Intel doesn't

jimf@idayton.field.intel.com (Jim Fister) (11/29/90)

pweiss@iwarp.intel.com (Paul Weiss (pweiss@iwarp.intel.com)) writes:

>Hi.  "How much {picture,sound} time can ya fit on a CD?" is a
>deceptively complicated question.  CD-I and DVI use the same
>underlying medium (as do CD-DA and CD-ROM, fundamentally) but make
>different choices about how to use the bandwidth.  The disc can hold
>about 640Kb of "stuff", in any case.  As far as video goes, DVI uses
>fancy (and very proprietary) compression/ decompression to allow
>sustained full-screen, full-motion pictures.  I think the compression
>factor varies in some way with the material, from a low of 10:1 to a
>high of about 100:1.  (Can anybody do a better job on that?  Please
>followup!)  Although decompression can be done in real time, with
>Intel's 2-chip set, compression is a mainframe mega-cycles kind of
>proposition, with supercomputer-class machines ideal.

Not to be picky, but it's 640Mb of data on a CD ROM.  I'm not to sure
about CD-I, but DVI can do about 70 min. of full-screen, full-motion
video.  Compression on the high end, using the mainframe is about 120:1
now.  DVI can also do real-time compression.  The capture board on the
two-board set does about 80:1 right now, and it'll only get better.
It looks to be about standard VCR quality, if you want a reference.

>CD-I does a much better job on audio.  It supports 4 or 5 different
>encodings, ranging from CD-DA tracks on a CD-I disc, to an encoding
>which uses half that space and bandwidth, giving twice the time, all
[stuff deleted for BW]
>taken up with visual data.  CD-I's audio encoding doesn't have nearly
>the compute-time requirements as DVI's video encoding, and has been
>done successfully on PC-class authoring stations.

>For slide-show styled titles, using a combination of still video
>images, computer-generated box-and-arrow markup, cartoon graphics
>animation, and voice-over, CD-I will be a terrific medium.  For things
>which want a lot of whizzy full-motion video, DVI will probably do a
>better job.

I'm not so sure, but I don't have the info to argue.

>...DVI
>shares the same platform-dependence as CD-ROM, at least in theory, but
>the new 2-chip set should make the appearence of dedicated DVI players
>economically possible.  CD-I was designed from the start as
>mass-market consumer technology.

DVI can handle any transfer media with a BW of 150Mb/s or greater.  Our
office has successfully transferred RTV over a network, along with stills.
Platform dependance is true not, but not necessarily in the future.

Just my two cents.  I'd say more, but my lack of info on CD-I would only make
me seem more of an idiot than I'm normally accused of being.  Any CD-I hacks
out there?

Oh, the fact that the door outside the office says "Intel" doesn't mean that
I say what they mean, or that I mean what they say, right?  Other standard
disclaimers apply.

Greetings from the rocking metropolis.

JimF

eric@mcrware.UUCP (Eric Miller) (12/08/90)

I have been reading the various discussions of CD capacity
lately and I figured that it's about time to add my two cents.

Just as Jim Fister is more experienced with DVI than CD-I, my bias is with
CD-I, although I have worked on the standardization committees for CD-ROM XA
as well as CD-I.

This is the general story:

CD-ROM/CD-I/DVI  all use the same carrier.  They all store data within the
context of the ISO 9660 standard for storing data on an optical disc.  This is
the same optical disc that is used to store music (CD-DA) although of course
music discs don't have directory structures on them.

CD-I and CD-ROM XA (and perhaps DVI) store audio in an ADPCM format which
*may be* streamed directly into an audio processor. CD-I allows you to also
read that data into memory for buffering and later playback.

CD-I allows four levels of audio:

	CD-DA  (16 bit PCM - 44.1 KHz)	  72 minutes
	Hi-Fi  (8 bit ADPCM - 37.8 KHz)	  stereo - 144 minutes  mono - 288 minutes
	Mid-Fi (4 bit ADPCM - 37.8 KHz)	  stereo - 288 minutes  mono - 576 minutes
	Lo-Fi  (4 bit ADPCM - 18.9 KHz)	  stereo - 576 minutes  mono - 1152 minutes

At Lo-Fi mono, this gives appx 19 hours of audio.  Most music sounds pretty good
at MidFi Stereo and most people's stereos cannot reproduce the difference
between Hi-Fi and CD-DA.

CD-ROM XA has included the Lo-Fi and Mid-Fi modes.  I do not know anything about
DVI audio.

Now for video.  A CD, played start to finish, holds 72 minutes of data
at 75 sectors per second.  Data (text) sectors hold 2048 bytes.  Video sectors
hold 2324 bytes because they don't contain extra EDC/ECC.  Therefore:

	(72 * 60 * 75 * 2324)/1024 = 735  Meg of video data

					or

	(72 * 60 * 75 * 2048)/1024 = 648  Meg of text/program data

Full Motion Video on CD-I or DVI uses the full bandwidth of the disc, thus
appx 72 minutes of FMV on a CD.

CD-I and DV-I systems can use hard disks as well as optical discs for their
data storage.  In fact, most good hard discs are faster than CDs and there
are now some quite affordable HDs that hold more than CDs.

CD-I players can read CD-DA, CD-ROM and CD-ROM XA discs.  In addition, it
takes only a small amount of extra circuitry to handle CD+G or CD+Midi.
Several manufacturers are planning these extensions from the beginning.

Finally, CD-I is being used today.  There are several companies around the
world using CD-I for data archival, training, Point-of-Info or Point-of-sales.
Although it is *primarily* intended as a consumer technology and it will be
hard-pressed to fight the IBM/Mac lock on business systems, it will find
some uses in dedicated systems used by businesses.

The Wall Street Journal recently carried an article about the Tokyo Electronics
Show in Japan where 33 exhibitors were showing CD-I players or software.  Over
10 companies are manufacturing players including a hand-held model by Sony that
uses a 5" LCD screen or connects to your favorite TV.

Personally, I will feel better going out to buy a system that has competition
from ten manufacturers than one that is offered only by Intel or Commodore.
There will certainly be a much greater force to lower prices and add features.

I don't know if I have actually cleared up the discussion at all, but I feel
like this was information that needed to be presented.

Eric Miller                         *  If this is paradise, I need a lawn mower.
Manager, New Media Systems          *
Microware Systems Corp              *    - David Byrne

a544@mindlink.UUCP (Rick McCormack) (12/11/90)

in an article, Eric Miller, <4310@mcrware.UUCP> gives some insight into
the capacities of several of the CD formats available and soon to be
available.

I attempted to assemble much of this information from manufacturers and
trade magazines, but Mr. Millers summation varies in some significant
aspects from my research.  I am more than willing to believe his
figures than those published in trade articles and magazines - the man
makes his living by creating and using these suckers, while reporters
make their living by writing about things their editors tell them to.
:-)

Thanks to Mr. Miller.  I have saved his message (I promise not to
distribute it in any "for Pay" media) and know of several of my
acquaintances who will be glad to see info from the right end of the
horse for a change.