[comp.ivideodisc] programming the M-motion board

amead@s.psych.uiuc.edu (alan mead) (12/10/90)

Hi.  I read this group infrequently as I will be programming a
multimedia application (beginning soon) on a PS2 with the (new?)
m-motion card (I guess it's the successor to InfoWindows?).  It would
seem that 50- 60% of you are actually programmers.

To those programmers in the audience:  I would like to use Turbo Pascal
(version 5, 5.5 or 6) but the distribution disk only comes with C and
Assembler code examples.  Although the manual is actually fairly
specific about the functions available and how they are used, I still
wonder, How does one access the board (Port[]? An Interrupt?, ???)?--any
experiences would be helpful.

Should I start learning Assembler?

Email me if you'd like a summary--if there is much response, I'll post
it.

Thanks.

-alan mead

marquet@bohra.cpg.oz (John Marquet) (12/12/90)

In article <1990Dec10.075709.570@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, amead@s.psych.uiuc.edu (alan mead) writes:
> Hi.  I read this group infrequently as I will be programming a
> multimedia application (beginning soon) on a PS2 with the (new?)
> m-motion card (I guess it's the successor to InfoWindows?).

Let's gert back to basics . . . what's an m-motion board?

John Marquet <marquet@bohra.cpg.oz> Computer Power Group, Melbourne, Australia

Dans la net, tout chats sont grei.  "Provided `as is' without warranty of any
kind, either expressed or implied, including ... fitness for a particular
purpose" - a disclaimer that's good enough for IBM is good enough for me!

young@brahms.udel.edu (Phillip Young) (12/12/90)

>Let's gert back to basics . . . what's an m-motion board?

   M-motion is IBM's video digitizing board.  It allows a video input (NTSC
or PAL) to be digitized and displayed in real time (i.e. 30 fps).  The
video image can be overlayed with computer generated VGA graphics.
Since the video image is actually digitized (unlike the previous
Infowindow display), the image can be windowed and positioned anywhere
on the display.  (This also makes it easy to implement sound over still.)
   M-motion will also allow you to do audio and video capture.  Using
these features you could create presentations (using stillframes and AM
quality audio) that don't require a video player at the delivery
station (you would still need the M-motion, however).

cvelazqu@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx (12/14/90)

From: amead@s.psych.uiuc.edu (alan mead)

Regarding to the following message:

> To those programmers in the audience:  I would like to use Turbo Pascal
> (version 5, 5.5 or 6) but the distribution disk only comes with C and
> Assembler code examples.  Although the manual is actually fairly
> specific about the functions available and how they are used, I still
> wonder, How does one access the board (Port[]? An Interrupt?, ???)?--any
> experiences would be helpful.
>
> Should I start learning Assembler?
>
> Email me if you'd like a summary--if there is much response, I'll post
> it.
>
> Thanks.
>
> -alan mead

I've just received an M-motion board. Actually, I prefer to write in Pascal, but I think I should start learning C. There are some sample programs in the installation diskette, in \mmedia\samples\dos I don't have the one written in Microsoft's C 5.1 (I've sent a message to the people at IBM) AVICDEMO.C, (if you do have this program, please let me know). But there are other programs in IBM C/2 that you could compile and test.
I'll work with the m-motion, and I'll try to answer the question of the interrupts in Pascal soon, this first message is for make contact with you (actually this is my first time with this discussion group).

Any help will be appreciated

Ciro Velazquez
Servicios Academicos
ITESM, Mexico