[comp.ivideodisc] video-window boards

larry@postgres.uucp (Larry Rowe) (11/29/90)

We recently received a RasterOps video-window board for a Sparcstation.
After some hassles we got it installed and we've been able to play video
into it under the Sun window system.  We're anxiously waiting for the X
server that supports it.  I don't recall the specs, but i suspect it also
does only 8-bit color (i.e., 256 colors).  Right now, that's what's
available for not much money.
	larry

forsdick@bbn.com (Harry Forsdick) (12/18/90)

larry@postgres.uucp (Larry Rowe) writes:

>I don't recall the specs, but i suspect it also
>does only 8-bit color (i.e., 256 colors).

The RasterOps board we have that video in a window is a 24 bit display.
It replaces the graphics board that comes with a SPARCstation.

>Right now, that's what's available for not much money.

Well, if you call $7,000 (list) not a lot of money.  I suspect
you will see some more competition in this area and get video in
a SPARCstation window for a more reasonable price.

Regards,

	Harry

larry@postgres.uucp (Larry Rowe) (12/22/90)

While agree that competition will bring down the cost of video
boards in unix workstations, the rasterops board was the
cheapest device available when we bought it last aug.  also,
at the time the only real alternative for sparcstations.  several
people have boards for deskside units (e.g., parallax, somebody else
whose name i forget), but they didn't have sparc boards nor did they
seem interested in doing one.  finally, we got a good university
discount which brought the board down to $3.5k (i probably should
not report this, but what the heck...).

now the question is where are the video compression boards and
when will C-cubed fix their chips?
	larry

andrew@calvin.doc.ca (Andrew Patrick) (12/23/90)

In article <40135@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> larry@postgres.UUCP (Larry Rowe) writes:
>now the question is where are the video compression boards and
>when will C-cubed fix their chips?

Has anyone heard anything about video compression boards for Suns?
Rumours, facts, gossip?

--
Andrew Patrick, Ph.D.       Department of Communications, Ottawa, CANADA
               andrew@calvin.doc.CA    andrew@doccrc.BITNET