[comp.ivideodisc] 35mm slide adaptor for

a544@mindlink.UUCP (Rick McCormack) (01/22/91)

In an article, <gf0c@andrew.cmu.edu>  Greg
 asks:

> In putting together a videodisc project, I have the need to
>scan large numbers of 35mm slides onto s-vhs tape.  I have a
>scanner to do this, but I am wondering if it's possible to
>use my s-vhs camera and some sort of simple slide
>projector/adaptor.  [Using the camera would offer more
>flexibility].
>
>  If anyone can supply information  (manufacturers,
>capabilites, 1sthand experience, cost, etc), I'd be much
>obliged.  Mail to me and I'll post a summary.

We have done this without any extra equipment.  We used a Kodak Ektagraphic
slide projector, WITHOUT the lense installed.  Our camera has a macro position
on its lense -- we used that.  OOOOOPPPPPSSSS! (occupational hazard - the
following item COULD be considered EXTRA EQUIPMENT!  Since we use it all the
time, we become blase.  :-)  Sorry 'bout that.)  We used a dissolve control
unit to adjust the brightness of the projector lamp to achieve good contrast
and to make the camera operate in the middle of its sensitivity range.

Set up the camera with the macro setting on the lense and point it down the
EMPTY lense barrel of the projector towards the slide.  Adjust the projector
lamp to partial brightness using the dissolve controller.  Film. Grab. Change
slide. Repeat.  We got real good contrast and control with this setup, and the
slides were very clear on S-VHS tapes.

Luck.

| Rick McCormack |  IMAGISTICS BUSINESS THEATRE TECHNOLOGY    |
| Vancouver,  BC |  Information transfer - with a purpose.    |
|     CANADA     |  ________________________________________  |
|  AOL:  Rique   |  INTERACTIVE  COMPREHENSIVE  ENLIGHTENING  |
|________________|____________________________________________|

gf0c+@andrew.cmu.edu (Gregory S. Fox) (01/23/91)

Greetings,

  In putting together a videodisc project, I have the need to scan
large numbers of 35mm slides onto s-vhs tape.  I have a scanner to
do this, but I am wondering if it's possible to use my s-vhs camera
and some sort of simple slide projector/adaptor.  [Using the camera
would offer more flexibility].

  If anyone can supply information  (manufacturers, capabilites,
1sthand experience, cost, etc), I'd be much obliged.  Mail to me and
I'll post a summary.

Thanks!
--Greg
gf0c@andrew.cmu.edu

daver@felix.UUCP (Dave Richards) (01/29/91)

In article <4528@mindlink.UUCP> a544@mindlink.UUCP (Rick McCormack) writes:
>We have done this without any extra equipment.
>Set up the camera with the macro setting on the lense and point it down the
>EMPTY lense barrel of the projector towards the slide.  Adjust the projector
>lamp to partial brightness using the dissolve controller.  Film. Grab. Change
>slide. Repeat.

This sounds like a very good solution, especially since it avoids any mirrors
or screens, or any other source of distortion.  But one little thing I would
point out is that if you do this, for the slide to appear correctly it must
be inserted in the carousel *backwards*, ie; so that the side that says "this
side toward screen" is actually toward the projector lamp.  Otherwise the
slides will appear mirrored about the vertical axis (left-to-right).  Also
I suppose at the same time you would rotate the slides so they appear right-
side-up (normally of course the slides are inserted in the carousel tray with
the image upside-down).  Otherwise you would have to turn the camera upside-
down as well.

Dave