[comp.ivideodisc] storage

<TAMIL@QUCDN.QueensU.CA> (04/02/91)

Does any one know what is the storage capacity of one video disk. We would like
 to put about 6 gigabyte worth of images( mostly map's) into a disk, the only w
ay we know is to go with 10 CD ROM'S. Because to view a image the image must fi
rst be copied to the network hard disk and then manuplated or viewed. If I want
 to do this on a video disk can I do it ? and to do what do I need. The operati
ng system we  use is UNIX.

thanks in advance

Steve.Rainwater@f1007.n124.z1.FidoNet.Org (Steve Rainwater) (04/03/91)

 > Does any one know what is the storage capacity of one video
 > disk. We would like
 >  to put about 6 gigabyte worth of images( mostly map's) into
 > a disk, the only way we know is to go with 10 CD ROM'S. Because to view
 > a image

Normally a standard laservision formatted videodisc will hold 54,000 frames
or 30 minutes of video at 30 fps (non-drop).  I think you may be confused
about just what it is that you store on a video disc, though.  They are an
analog media like video tape rather than a digital media like CD-ROM.  In
order to store a computer generated graphic, the graphic must first be
rendered and then transfered to some intermediate analog media (usually 1"
type C video tape).  The tape would then be send to a facility that could
create the disc for you.  Going direct to disc is possible if the computer
that will generate the image can be transported to a disc cutting facility.
There are a variety of non-standard video disc formats for which you can buy
portable laser disc recorders (such as the Sony LDR-5000) but they cannot
play back standard discs and the discs they record cannot be played back on
standard players.

 ...!cs.utexas.edu!egsner!ntpal!kcvt!postmast
 steve.rainwater@kcvt.fidonet.org

---
 * Origin: Kimball Computer Video 214-869-2859 (1:124/1007)