[comp.ivideodisc] Galatea 2.5 Alpha

danapple@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Daniel I. Applebaum) (03/30/91)

An ALPHA versino of Galatea 2.5 is now available via anonymous ftp from
media-lab.media.mit.edu (Internet 18.85.0.2).  Feel free to take a copy
of this software.  I would most appreciate any bug reports, as I hope to
create a more solid version in the next month or so.

This version does *not* have up-to-date man pages or documentation, so
not all of the command available in Glib or gman are documented.  I
don't believe that any preexisting interfaces have changed, so there
shouldn't be any gross errors.  If you have previously installed Galatea
on your system, you should have no problems updating.  The protocol is
backward compatible.  In other words, any old clients should work
perfectly with a new server, although clients compiled with the new Glib
may not work with a 2.4 server.

I don't believe there are significant bugs, but I don't want to promise
anything.

A list of changed between Galatea 2.4 and Galatea 2.5 follows

Daniel I. Applebaum
[danapple@media-lab.media.mit.edu]

=========

This is a list of changes noting the major differences between Galatea 2.4
and Galatea 2.5 (3/12/91)

+ Server now additionally supports the NEC PC-VCR.
+ G_INT32 is now the primary unit of communication for Galatea.  Glib is
  now more portable to architectures with non-32-bit int's.
+ The mount and unmount calls now take an extra "options" argument.
+ PostScript client interface for use with NeWS clients.  (Glib.ps)
+ New Glib call GGetSpeed()
+ New Glib call GPlaySequence()
+ New Glib call GOpenedHost()
+ New Glib call GDub() (Not in Glib.ps, yet.)
+ New Glib call GVideoCopy() (Not in Glib.ps, yet.)
+ New Glib call GErrorString() (Not in Glib.ps, yet.)
+ Some errors while opening devices are now non-fatal.
+ Changed GPlaySeg() to accept CURRENT_FRAME for start frame.
+ Speed argument for GPlaySeg() is now automatically corrected for
  direction.
+ GConfigure() now takes VIDEO_CHAN to support video muting.
+ Added async request forwarding, but this is as yet untested.
+ Server will no longer hang on incomplete client data.  New internal
  functions serv_full_read(), serv_acceptint(),serv_acceptstring() and
  tunable MAX_BLOCK handle timeouts on reading from clients.
+ Running the server with the -devices option will cause the server to
  print out the supported devices, then exit.
+ Created new subdirectory under 'server' called 'dcm' which contains
  all of the device dependent "Device Control Modules" for the Galatea
  server.  Adding a new DCM involves modifying the Makefile and models.h
  in server/dcm, adding the code for the new DCM to that directory, and
  recompiling the server.
+ Added an extension mechanism to Galatea which is compatible with all
  old clients and servers.  It exists in a subdirectory of 'server'
  called 'ext'.
+ Added a new command to gman to handle the playing of sequences with
  the new GPlaySequence() library call.
+ gman is a lot easier to use, with better prompting and script
  capability.
+ greset will try to use GRebuild() to do a reset if the kill(2)
  does not work.
Changes by Russ Sasnett:
+ Server now supports the Pioneer LDV-4200.
+ rpd structure now contains an extension element.
+ Build operation has been extensively improved.  See documentation.
+ Corrected errors in Sony and VDP50 drivers for variable speed playback.
  Sony now plays reverse segments.
+ Corrected UNIX domain socket code in Glib and server.
+ Added RETURN_NOW_WITH_SPEED flag to GPlaySeg().

rthomson@mesa.dsd.es.com (Rich Thomson) (04/01/91)

In article <5564@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU>
	danapple@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Daniel I. Applebaum) writes:
>An ALPHA versino of Galatea 2.5 is now available via anonymous ftp from
>media-lab.media.mit.edu (Internet 18.85.0.2).  Feel free to take a copy
>of this software.  I would most appreciate any bug reports, as I hope to
>create a more solid version in the next month or so.

Gee, sounds great.  What does it do?   A common oversight when
announcing new versions of FTPable software on the net is to not
include a short description of the capabilities of the software.
This was recently done on comp.windows.x with the announcement of the
new XPM library.

For future reference, please include a description of the software
along with the new capabilities of the latest release.  For the
benefit of others, I'll include the "galatea.announce" file I found on
the media-lab machine.

							-- Rich

	    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

    The Galatea Network Video Device Control System is a package for
    controlling and managing video resources in a distributed workstation
    environment.  The system handles the control of video devices, such as
    analog video disc player/recorders and analog video routing switches.
    Galatea runs on 4.3BSD and System V UNIX on 32 bit workstations.  A Mac
    II client library is in the works, so a UNIX server will be able to
    serve a cluster of Mac's.

    Galatea is available for the public under the same copyright
    restrictions as the X Window System.  Any person may copy and use
    Galatea for any purpose, as long as the M.I.T. copyright is maintained
    on all copies of the distributed software.  To obtain a copy of Galatea,
    anonymous ftp can be used to media-lab.mit.edu (Internet 18.85.0.2).
    The Galatea distribution, tar(1) format, as well as PostScript and line
    printer copies of the documentation are available in the subdirectory
    'galatea' The documentation is present in the distribution, so there is
    no need to grab both.  If you cannot form an ftp(1) connection to
    media-lab.mit.edu, I would be happy to send mail containing uuencoded
    versions of either the documentation or the distribution.  If you don't
    specify whether you want the PostScript or lineprinter version of the
    documentation, I will send the lineprinter version.  I don't have the
    time or energy to send any of this information via US mail.  I can send
    the documentation non-uuencoded, if that is better.

    There is no official support for Galatea, although I try to keep things
    going and I respond to complaints about bugs.  If you wish to use the
    system, feel free, but the responsibility is in your hands.  I want to
    hear about real bugs in the system, and take efforts to correct them.
    As I will graduate in two months, the future of Galatea development is
    uncertain.  As the Media Laboratory is not a product development or
    support organization, Galatea is only being offered unofficially by me,
    not by the lab.

    Currently, Galatea supports Sony and Digital Equipment Corporation video
    disc players and the Panasonic write-once units, Akai Digital Patch
    Panels and many switches produced by Presentation Environments.  Work is
    being done at MIT Project Athena to add support for the Pioneer video
    disk player.  I welcome any device driver software that other users
    develop and would be more than happy it to add to the distribution.  The
    system runs on 4.3BSD, Ultrix, Interactive 386/ix, HP-UX and Sun OS.

    The client library is device independent, so the clients never need to
    be aware of the type of device under control.  In addition, the physical
    location of a device is hidden from a client, so in a distributed
    environment, a video disc player may be anywhere.  Galatea servers can
    communicate to each other to share resources.  There need not be a
    single server, but a hierarchy can be created, allowing the use of
    "office-wide", "department-wide", and "building-wide" resources by the
    same user without the client software or the user being aware of the
    distinction.

    Some applications of Galatea have included the recording of computer
    generated animations onto write-once video discs (CALTECH CCSF), image
    archive retrieval (Image Concepts, MIT VLW), educational applications
    (MIT Project Athena) and off-line video editing prototypes (MIT
    Interactive Cinema).

    Mailing lists: To be added to the galatea-users or galatea-bugs list or
    to request documentation or distributions:
    galatea-request@media-lab.mit.edu

    To send mail to other users of Galatea: galatea-users@media-lab.mit.edu

    To report a Galatea bug: galatea-bugs@media-lab.mit.edu

    Daniel I. Applebaum
    Interactive Cinema
    M.I.T. Media Laboratory
    danapple@athena.mit.edu  danapple@media-lab.mit.edu

	    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
--
  ``Read my MIPS -- no new VAXes!!'' -- George Bush after sniffing freon
	    Disclaimer: I speak for myself, except as noted.

danapple@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Daniel I. Applebaum) (04/03/91)

In article <1991Mar31.192850.17304@dsd.es.com>, rthomson@mesa.dsd.es.com (Rich Thomson) writes:
> For future reference, please include a description of the software
> along with the new capabilities of the latest release.  For the
> benefit of others, I'll include the "galatea.announce" file I found on
> the media-lab machine.

Thanks, Rich.  Just for completeness, I've included the newest Galatea
announcement file, as there a slight changes.  I wasn't sure what was
appropriate as far as reposting info that I had posted some months ago,
so I guess I erred on the vague side.  This is probably overdoing it,
but at least it's not a flame war...

Anyway, I'm not trying to force this stuff down anyone's throat, but I
do want to make sure that it's existence is known.

As always, all comments except "Why didn't you implement dynamic
rebinding of virtual outputs?" are perfectly welcome.

Also, there is probably a tremendous overlap in readership between
comp.multimedia and comp.ivideodisc.  As Galatea is really a video
device control and management system, not a multimedia package or
platform, it probably makes sense to deal with it only on
comp.ivideodisc, so this is the last crosspost I'll do.

Daniel I. Applebaum
[danapple@media-lab.media.mit.edu]
("Excellent!" - Bill S. Preston, Esq.)
=======
The Galatea Network Video Device Control System is a package for
controlling and managing video resources in a distributed workstation
environment.  The system handles the control of video devices, such as
analog video disc player/recorders and analog video routing switches.
Galatea runs on 4.3BSD and System V UNIX on 32 bit workstations.

Galatea is available for the public under the same copyright
restrictions as the X Window System.  Any person may copy and use
Galatea for any purpose, as long as the M.I.T. copyright is maintained
on all copies of the distributed software.  To obtain a copy of
Galatea, anonymous ftp can be used to media-lab.mit.edu (Internet
18.85.0.2).  The Galatea distribution, in tar(1) format, as well as
[...]

correct them.  As I have graduated, the future of Galatea development
is uncertain.  As the Media Laboratory is not a product development or
support organization, Galatea is only being offered unofficially by
me, not by the lab.

Currently, Galatea supports Sony, Pioneer and Digital Equipment
Corporation video disc players, the Panasonic write-once units, the
NEC PC-VCR, Akai Digital Patch Panels, and many switches produced by
Presentation Environments.  I welcome any device driver software that
other users develop and would be more than happy it to add to the
distribution.  The system runs on 4.3BSD, Ultrix, Interactive 386/ix,
HP-UX, SVR4 and Sun OS.

[...]

For more information on Galatea and its encompassing project, see the
paper "Light Table: Interface to Visual Information Systems" in the
MIT Press book "The Electronic Design Studio", published in 1990.

The Galatea Network Video Device Control System is not a product of or
in any way associated with Sun Microsystems, Inc.  It is a project that I
am continuing to expand from my previous work at the M.I.T. Media Lab.

galatea-request@athena.mit.edu   or galatea-request@media-lab.mit.edu

To send mail to other users of Galatea: galatea-users@athena.mit.edu
    or galatea-users@media-lab.mit.edu

To report a Galatea bug: galatea-bugs@athena.mit.edu or