SUBJECT: M-MOTION & M-CONTROL PROBLEM
Date:    Mon, 15 Apr 91 19:40:18 -0400
To:      milne@ICS.UCI.EDU
From:    "SWIX,SCOTT R" <swix@prism.gatech.EDU>
- ----------------------------------------

>I'm sorry to see you are having a problem.  Offhand, I'm not exactly
>sure why the wake-up routine is not being removed correctly.  I'll
>check tomorrow and see what I can find out.

   Thanks very much.  I'd appreciate the information.  I assume there
   is something I'm doing subtly wrong, as I have seen quite slow (in fact,
   interpreted) applications providing M-Motion performance that surely
   uses the WakeUp routine, and they leave M-Control in a usable state.

>I'm also VERY SORRY that you have had difficulty with the MM Helpline.
>That I will also discuss with the manager in charge, ...
>Your situation is NOT a quality example of the attention to
>customers that we would like to see.   Again, my apologies.

   I hope I didn't overstate the case.  I have used the help line for
   2 or 3 problems, and when I get an operator, I do get information.
   I have also had calls back to messages I have left on tape, asking
   me to call back on such and such a problem number.  Unfortunately,
   following them up is sometimes a bit difficult.  Also, we are on
   opposite coasts, and my work day is later than the average anyway,
   so the overlap in our respective work days is rather limited.
   So there's not much room for playing telephone tag.

   The Wake-Up routine question is the first one where I don't seem
   to have got a response yet.

   I expect the problem is that the number of operators is being
   overwhelmed by the number of incoming calls.  Perhaps, if the line
   were to allow more rings (it now allows 3, I think) before the
   answering machine takes over, it might improve chances of an operator's
   becoming free while the phone is ringing?  (I am assuming there are
   already as many operators there is as practical to assign.)

   Thanks very much for getting back to me.

>Scott Swix
>IBM MultiMedia Systems Development
>Atlanta, GA

>PS.
>   I'm still having difficulty with everyone (Ga Tech & IBM) getting
>   the approvals to append to the public newsgroups.  If you like,
>   place this text in the multimedia newsgroup for me.  I would like
>   people to know that we (at least I) am listening, even though it
>   is as a silent partner until now.

   This appears still to be quite a problem for lots of companies,
   and not just in this country.  As you can see, I have indeed put
   this text on the newsgroup.

   I hope IBM management sees its way clear to fuller communications
   with the net.  Although phone calls still serve better for conversations,
   I don't think the net can be beaten for exchanging large amounts
   of accurate information at times convenient for both sender and receiver.
   I think it would be easier for everybody, including your operators,
   if the help line (or at least the multimedia group) had net access.
   Good luck getting it through.

------- End of Forwarded Message