[comp.ivideodisc] transferring video to laserdisc

bfreeman@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Elisabeth Freeman) (06/16/91)

I am interested in transferring a video tape to laserdisc.  Does anyone
know if this is possible, and if so how, where and how much?

Thanks!

Beth Freeman
bfreeman@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu

Elisabeth M. Freeman                          bfreeman@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu
                Don't have a cow!  Eat Veggies instead

ressler@cme.nist.gov (Sandy Ressler) (06/20/91)

In article <1991Jun16.150001.29049@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu>, bfreeman@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Elisabeth Freeman) writes:
> I am interested in transferring a video tape to laserdisc.  Does anyone
> know if this is possible, and if so how, where and how much?

Yes you can do this. There are writable videodisc players (once write) made
by a few companies Panasonic had one several years ago, A company called the
Optical Disc Corporation makes a machine called the ODC610A and I think
Sony makes a machine to do this. I would suggest calling a few video production
houses, first finding out who has experince in video discs and then ask if
any one produces single copy "test" discs - It will probably be from this
sort of machine.  I found a place in the Washington D.C. area called
Henninger Video that can do it for about $300-500 depending on the type
you want. They can be reached at 703-243 3444 (Arlington VA) I have not
used their services nor do I know if they are any good.   Hope this helps.

NAME:   Sandy Ressler                    TELE: (301) 975-3549
USMAIL: National Institute of Standards and Technology
(formerly National Bureau of Standards)  INTERNET: ressler@cme.nist.gov
        Bldg. 220 Rm A-127
        Gaithersburg, MD  20899

hamilton@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Doug Hamilton) (06/20/91)

In article <4531@oops.cme.nist.gov>, ressler@cme.nist.gov (Sandy Ressler) writes...

>In article <1991Jun16.150001.29049@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu>, bfreeman@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Elisabeth Freeman) writes:
>> I am interested in transferring a video tape to laserdisc.  Does anyone
>> know if this is possible, and if so how, where and how much?
>>

>Yes you can do this. There are writable videodisc players (once write) made
>by a few companies Panasonic had one several years ago, A company called the
>Optical Disc Corporation makes a machine called the ODC610A and I think
>Sony makes a machine to do this. I would suggest calling a few video production
>houses, first finding out who has experince in video discs and then ask if
>any one produces single copy "test" discs - It will probably be from this
>sort of machine.  I found a place in the Washington D.C. area called
>Henninger Video that can do it for about $300-500 depending on the type
>you want. They can be reached at 703-243 3444 (Arlington VA) I have not
>used their services nor do I know if they are any good.   Hope this helps.

Depending on your needs, this may not be the best advice. The Panasonic
recordable laser disc mentioned above is not playable on the typical
LaserVision player. The Optical Data Corporation (ODC) technology,
 on the other hand, is fully compatable and a good way to get a one-off
videodisc. They cost about $350. There are about 35 places around the
country that offer this service. A couple that I've used are Editworks
in Atlanta (404-325-2289) and Diner+Allied in San Francisco
(415-777-1700). Good luck!

dh

   ...........hamilton@VMS.MACC.WISC.EDU   or   hamilton@WISCMACC
    ............Douglas Hamilton, Instructional Technology Support
     ............Academic Computing Center, University of Wisconsin
      ....................1210 West Dayton, Madison, Wisconsin 53706
       ..............................(608) 262-5667 or (608) 262-0626