[comp.lang.icon] Icon as RDBMS report writer language

yost@DPW.COM (David A. Yost) (10/03/90)

Has anyone used Icon as the basis for a RDBMS report writer language?
Such a beast could be soooo much better than some other things out there...

 --dave yost
   yost@dpw.com or uunet!esquire!yost
   Please don't use other mangled forms you may see
   in the From, Reply-To, or CC fields above.

cargo@CHERRY.CRAY.COM (David S. Cargo) (10/03/90)

>Date: 2 Oct 90 21:09:13 GMT
>From: esquire!yost@nyu.edu
>Subject: Icon as RDBMS report writer language
>To: icon-group@arizona.edu
>
>Has anyone used Icon as the basis for a RDBMS report writer language?
>Such a beast could be soooo much better than some other things out there...
>
> --dave yost

I have used Icon as a part of a process for some data base publishing,
but only in conjunction with other programs.  Cray keeps a software
problem report data base using ORACLE.  My section in Cray likes to see
reports about our status weekly.  Using canned and dynamically
generated queries, I extract a formatted report that I then feed to an
Icon program for further processing.  The further processing in this
case means extracting data and rewriting it with LaTeX code and macro
calls defined in the tables.sty file.  The result is formatted with
LaTeX and printed with dvips on our Sun LaserWriters.

I have in some cases written PostScript directly from Icon programs,
but in this case it seemed a lot easier on me to let existing programs
shoulder the burden of doing the formatting.

dsc

S.P.Q.Rahtz@ecs.southampton.ac.uk (Sebastian Rahtz) (10/03/90)

"David S. Cargo" writes:
 > problem report data base using ORACLE.  My section in Cray likes to see
 > reports about our status weekly.  Using canned and dynamically
 > generated queries, I extract a formatted report that I then feed to an
 > Icon program for further processing.  The further processing in this
 > case means extracting data and rewriting it with LaTeX code and macro
 > calls defined in the tables.sty file.  The result is formatted with
I have a large Ingres database of gravestones and inscriptions, and I
used to have an Icon program to fiddle with the output, as in the
example above. then I realized that a lot of the same work could be
done in LaTeX itself...; so Icon now has no place in the scheme. This
is because I have to the database searching with a C program with
embedded SQL which is linked to Ingres libraries. What I would really
like to do, of course, is to write my program in Icon with embedded
SQL. I don't suppose anyone has done this by any chance? the idea of a
generator which returned tuples from the database is rather
attractive.

Sebastian Rahtz