[comp.lang.icon] Language 'tutors'

R.J.Hare@edinburgh.ac.uk (05/16/91)

Has anyone used Icon to develop 'tutors' for learning foreign languages
in any way - for example, vocabulary drills, simple phrase translation,
etc.?

If yes, are such programs available?

Thanks.

Roger Hare.

dean@ns.network.com (Dean C. Gahlon) (05/18/91)

In article <16.May.91..08:57:28.bst..060957@EMAS-A> R.J.Hare@edinburgh.ac.uk writes:
>Has anyone used Icon to develop 'tutors' for learning foreign languages
>in any way - for example, vocabulary drills, simple phrase translation,
>etc.?
>
>If yes, are such programs available?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Roger Hare.

Yes, as a matter of fact. I have a couple of Japanese tutoring programs
written in Icon. They're not very fancy (and in fact don't use an incredible
number of the more advanced features of the language (i.e., I suspect that
they could be written to be better)), but they work.  If I remember, I will
try to upload them to this machine and then post them on the network
sometime soon.

						Dean C. Gahlon
						dean@ns.network.com