[comp.lang.asm370] Dummy section assembler directives

PAWELKDA@UREGINA1.BITNET (Darrel Pawelka) (06/14/89)

I got in the mail yesterday a book I had ordered about 370 assembly programming
I will describe it to the list briefly later, but you will be relieved to hear
that I will be asking fewer naive questions in the future. However, the book,
assuming the user has access to official manuals, omitted to describe three
things having to do with dummy control sections. Not DESECTs. I know what they
are. It failed to describe the Q( ) -type DC or DS operand. It also left out
the DXD and CXD assembler pseudo-codes. I am vaguely aware that they have some-
thing to do with external dummy control sections. Would someone briefly des-
cribe them for me, including the operands they take? Also, would he or she des-
cribe the PUNCH assembler directive? Is it still used on machines without REAL
card punchers?
     On another subject, the computer I use is an IBM 4381-12 running CMS, VM /
SP ver. 4. Does this exclude the possibility that the system has anything to do
with 370 / XA or / ESA?

MICHAEL@MAINE.BITNET (Michael Johnson) (06/16/89)

In message <ASM370%89061400251931@OHSTVMA> Darrel Pawelka writes:

>the DXD and CXD assembler pseudo-codes. I am vaguely aware that they have some-
>thing to do with external dummy control sections. Would someone briefly des-
>cribe them for me, including the operands they take?                          -

I'm afraid I can't help you much with those, but..

>                                                     Also, would he or she des
>cribe the PUNCH assembler directive? Is it still used on machines without REAL
>card punchers?

The PUNCH directive is used to add a card to the object deck, i.e. to include
a line in the TEXT file generated by the assembler. These can be used to
put INCLUDE directives in a TEXT file that some linkage editors desire, for
example.

>     On another subject, the computer I use is an IBM 4381-12 running CMS, VM /
>SP ver. 4. Does this exclude the possibility that the system has anything to do
>with 370 / XA or / ESA?

The 4381 is not XA or ESA capable, to the best of my knowledge.

VALDIS@vtvm1.cc.vt.EDU (Valdis Kletnieks) (06/16/89)

On Thu, 15 Jun 89 18:39:41 EDT Michael Johnson said:
>In message <ASM370%89061400251931@OHSTVMA> Darrel Pawelka writes:

>>SP ver. 4. Does this exclude the possibility that the system has anything to
>do
>>with 370 / XA or / ESA?
>
>The 4381 is not XA or ESA capable, to the best of my knowledge.
In fact, the 4381 is XA compatible.  Also, the 4381-9x
models are also ESA capable.

However, if you're running SP/4, you are running in S/370 mode, and the
XA and ESA features are NOT accessible, even though the hardware might have
them.

                                 Valdis Kletnieks

A01MES1@NIU.BITNET (Michael Stack) (06/16/89)

>the DXD and CXD assembler pseudo-codes. I am vaguely aware that they have some-
>thing to do with external dummy control sections. Would someone briefly des-
>cribe them for me, including the operands they take?

The Assembler H Language Reference GC26-4037 has a nice description
of DXD and CXD on pp 63-64, including how to use a Q-type constant.
All that's missing is some indication that a GETMAIN is required for
the length of storage placed in the CXD by the linkage editor, and
that to set the base for an external DSECT you add the offset found
in the Q-con to the address of GETMAINed storage.  It's pretty simple.
I've always wondered where the term "pseudo-register" came from.

Michael Stack
Northern Illinois University

LDW@USCMVSA.BITNET (Leonard D Woren) (06/16/89)

I've been writing 360/370 assembler since 1971, and I've never found a
use for Q cons, CXD, DXD, or common.  (Ordinary DSECTs always seem to
do the job just fine.)  Without mentioning FORTRAN or PL/I, does
anyone have any examples of useful purposes for these constructs?

A024012@RUTVM1.BITNET (Ross Patterson) (06/16/89)

On Thu, 15 Jun 89 23:31:00 PDT Leonard D Woren said:
>I've been writing 360/370 assembler since 1971, and I've never found a
>use for Q cons, CXD, DXD, or common.  (Ordinary DSECTs always seem to
>do the job just fine.)  Without mentioning FORTRAN or PL/I, does
>anyone have any examples of useful purposes for these constructs?

You never wrote a HASP overlay? Gee Leonard, we all thought you were a
Real Systems Programmer.

;-)
Ross Patterson
Rutgers University

TIMMO@JHUHYG.BITNET (Tim DiLauro) (06/20/89)

On Thu, 15 Jun 89 18:39:41 EDT Michael Johnson said:

>The 4381 is not XA or ESA capable, to the best of my knowledge.

At least some 4381's are XA capable.  For example, our 4381-P12 is.

Tim DiLauro     (301)955-4770      Systems Programmer
Johns Hopkins University School of Hygiene and Public Health

JAY@KSUVM.BITNET (Jay Alloway) (06/20/89)

> On Thu, 15 Jun 89 18:39:41 EDT Michael Johnson said:
>
> The 4381 is not XA or ESA capable, to the best of my knowledge.

As of today there are 14 model groups of 4381s.  The following are not
in new production, but are sold as refurbished: 1, 2, 3, 11, 12, 13, and
14.  The following are in new production: 21, 22, 23, 24, 90E, 91E, and
92E.  All machines as can run in 370 or XA mode.  Models 90D, 91E, and
92E can also run in ESA mode.

SEB1525@draper.COM ("Steve Bacher ", Batchman) (06/21/89)

This discussion has gone far afield of the stated subject.  Please, users,
when you reply to this, change the subject to the appropriate one (4381's).

MICHAEL@MAINE.BITNET (Michael Johnson) (06/21/89)

In message <ASM370%89062004174191@OHSTVMA> Tim DiLauro said:

>On Thu, 15 Jun 89 18:39:41 EDT Michael Johnson said:
>>
>>The 4381 is not XA or ESA capable, to the best of my knowledge.
>
>At least some 4381's are XA capable.  For example, our 4381-P12 is.

Ok, so I was mistaken. Live and learn, I guess.

Michael Johnson                           "We are the Priests of the Temples
University of Maine System                 of Syrinx. Our great computers fill
Computing and Data Processing Services     the hallowed halls." - Neil Peart