[comp.lang.asm370] Stopping a program in CMS

CUDAT@SKY.WARWICK.AC.UK ("J. M. Hicks Coventry 523262") (06/22/89)

I've wandered off the subject rather, but I thought people might be
interested in this.

>Date:     Wed, 21 Jun 89 18:02:35 SET
>From:     Wilhelm Becker 0231/755-3677 <UPH008@EARN.DDOHRZ11>

>Use the CP EXTERNAL command to generate an external interrupt. This puts
>your virtual machine into CMS DEBUG mode (unless your program eats
>external interrupts). Then use the DEBUG subcommandHX to kill your
>program. You can use this method also to kill a program that is looping
>on a VM READ.

To stop a program when in VM READ, I find it is better to put the cursor one
place prior to the input area and press ENTER, and then enter HX.

In my experience, using the CP EXTERNAL command to enter CMS DEBUG makes
CMS DEBUG treat anything in the stack as a DEBUG command --- potentially
very nasty.
--
J. M. Hicks, (a.k.a. Hilary)
Computing Services, Warwick University, Coventry, England. CV4 7AL