[comp.lang.asm370] CTCAs

CMH117@PSUVM.BITNET (Charles Hannum) (12/01/89)

I know this really isn't revelant to the group, but you're all probably
using IBM 'frames anyway, and there is no group pertaining to VM/CMS.
So, here goes:

  Exactly what *are* Channel-To-Channel Adapters (CTCAs), and what do
  they (and CP COUPLE) do?

Any info (other than the useless IBM help files) would be appreciated.

--
- Charles Martin Hannum II       "Klein bottle for sale ... inquire within."
    (That's Charles to you!)     "To life immortal!"

klute@trillian (12/01/89)

!klute

In article <89334.194519CMH117@PSUVM.BITNET> CMH117@PSUVM.BITNET (Charles Hannum) writes:
>I know this really isn't revelant to the group, but you're all probably
>using IBM 'frames anyway, and there is no group pertaining to VM/CMS.

No, we don't - at least not me. I am using an Siemens 7500
under the BS2000 operating system. It has the same machine
architecture and machine instructions as an IBM mainframe but
of course the operation system is quite different. Most of the
time this group is quite boring to me because so many IBM
specific topics are discussed. Any more out there interested in
Siemens mainframes and BS2000?

  Dipl.-Inform. Rainer Klute      klute@heike.irb.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
  Univ. Dortmund, IRB             klute@unido.uucp, klute@unido.bitnet
  Postfach 500500         |)|/    ...uunet!mcvax!unido!klute
D-4600 Dortmund 50        |\|\    Tel.: +49 231 755-4663

klute%trillian@laura.UUCP (12/01/89)

jcmorris@mbunix.mitre.org (Morris) (12/02/89)

In a recent article CMH117@PSUVM.BITNET (Charles Hannum) writes:

>  Exactly what *are* Channel-To-Channel Adapters (CTCAs), and what do
>  they (and CP COUPLE) do?

The CTCA is usually used to provide a dedicated, high-speed (typically
3 megabyte/sec) data path between mainframes.  The CTCA itself (which
can be either a feature on the processor or a stand-alone device)
appears to be an I/O device to each processor attached to it.  At the
hardware level, that's all it is...in effect, a very expensive (but very
fast) null modem cable.

In VM you can create virtual CTCA ports with the CP DEFINE CTCA [as] cuu
command; you then use the CP COUPLE command to say what is attached
to the other end of the virtual cable by giving the userid and virtual
address of the distant end.  For example, if A and B want to communicate
over a virtual CTCA, then:

A issues the command:      CP DEFINE CTCA AS 333

B issues the commands:     CP DEFINE CTCA AS 444
                           CP COUPLE 444 TO A 333

and now A and B have a CTCA between them.

What you do with the link is up to your programming system.  It could be
used for data transfer, for supervisory data transfer (e.g., passing
ENQ/DEQ commands between processors which share DASD), or whatever you want.

Hope this helps...

Joe Morris

mercer@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM (Dan Mercer) (12/03/89)

:
:  Exactly what *are* Channel-To-Channel Adapters (CTCAs), and what do
:  they (and CP COUPLE) do?
:
:Any info (other than the useless IBM help files) would be appreciated.
:
:--
:- Charles Martin Hannum II       "Klein bottle for sale ... inquire within."
:    (That's Charles to you!)     "To life immortal!"
:  cmh117@psuvm.{bitnet,psu.edu}  "No noozzzz izzz netzzzsnoozzzzz..."
:  c9h@psuecl.{bitnet,psu.edu}    "Mem'ry, all alone in the moonlight ..."

Normally,  physical lines are attached to Channels.  An RSCS connection
or a VM PassThru line might connect to another machine at 9.6 Kb.
If the two machines are located close enough (usually <= 100 ft) a
CTCA can be used to connect the two machines,  allowing for a
much higher transfer rate.  There's also a Virtual CTCA.  A VCTCA,
which is software,  allows you to connect two "machines" residing
in the same physical box  (i.e. VM yo MVS).

--

Dan Mercer

mercer@UUNET.UU.NET (Dan Mercer) (12/03/89)

        Hannum) writes:
[...]

CMH117@PSUVM.BITNET (Charles Hannum) (12/04/89)

Okay, okay, everyone!  I've got the picture!  My reader is overflowing!
PLEASE stop sending me mail on this!

Anyway, thanks for the info, everyone who responded.

--

drake@ibmarc.uucp (Sam Drake) (12/09/89)

In article <89334.194519CMH117@PSUVM.BITNET> CMH117@PSUVM.BITNET (Charles Hannum) writes:
>  Exactly what *are* Channel-To-Channel Adapters (CTCAs), and what do
>  they (and CP COUPLE) do?

CTCAs are devices that allow two S/370 mainframes to communicate at
channel speeds.  So while most 370 I/O involves the CPU talking to
a disk drive or some peripheral, CTCA I/O is CPU-to-CPU.

One side can read a CTCA and will get an interrupt when the other
side writes it...and vice versa.  The IBM 3088 is a stand-alone
product that provides channel to channel adapters; up to 8 mainframes
can be hooked to the 3088 and they can all communicate using CTC protocols
at full channel speed (4.5MByte/sec, I think).

Under VM, virtual machines can manipulate real CTCs (if they are
ATTACHed or DEDICATEd to the virtual machine), and can also use
virtual CTCs.  Virtual CTCs don't hook to any real hardware anywhere,
but rather can be used to communicate between two virtual machines.
Each virtual machine DEFINEs a CTC; the COUPLE command is used by
one virtual machine or the other to connect them together.

Sam Drake / IBM Almaden Research Center

drake@UUNET.UU.NET (Sam Drake) (12/09/89)

        Hannum) writes:
>  Exactly what *are* Channel-To-Channel Adapters (CTCAs), and what do
>  they (and CP COUPLE) do?

CTCAs are devices that allow two S/370 mainframes to communicate at
channel speeds.  So while most 370 I/O involves the CPU talking to
a disk drive or some peripheral, CTCA I/O is CPU-to-CPU.

One side can read a CTCA and will get an interrupt when the other
side writes it...and vice versa.  The IBM 3088 is a stand-alone
product that provides channel to channel adapters; up to 8 mainframes
can be hooked to the 3088 and they can all communicate using CTC protocols
at full channel speed (4.5MByte/sec, I think).

Under VM, virtual machines can manipulate real CTCs (if they are
ATTACHed or DEDICATEd to the virtual machine), and can also use
virtual CTCs.  Virtual CTCs don't hook to any real hardware anywhere,
but rather can be used to communicate between two virtual machines.
Each virtual machine DEFINEs a CTC; the COUPLE command is used by
one virtual machine or the other to connect them together.

Sam Drake / IBM Almaden Research Center

PERSHNG@YKTVMH3.BITNET ("John A. Pershing Jr.") (01/12/90)

If you look at the NUCON mapping macro, you will notice that it provides
symbolic names for all of the low-storage locations.  It is considered
preferable to use these symbolic names, rather than absolute addresses.
Just remember to provide an appropriate USING pseudo-op in your assembler
routine:

         USING NUCON,0

Note, also, that CMS normally protects its data areas (which includes
Page Zero) with a storage key of x'F' and runs user programs under a PSW
key of x'E', so you will have a bit of trouble storing into these low-
storage locations (e.g., the CAW).  You can use the DMSKEY macro to ask
CMS to set the PSW key to x'0', or (a bit "safer") use the DMSEXS macro
to execute a single instruction (e.g., a store into the CAW) under a PSW
key of x'0'.

      John Pershing
      IBM Research, Yorktown Heights