[comp.lang.asm370] IBM Assembler as a First C.Sc. subject

dwork@pepsi.amd.com (Jeff Dwork) (05/02/90)

In article <9004281635.AA13156@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> IBM 370 Assembly Programming Discussion List <ASM370@OHSTVMA.IRCC.OHIO-STATE.EDU> writes:
>As many of you are doubtless well aware, a discussion is currently
>raging in comp.edu and overflowing into other groups concerning
>the ideal language for C.Sc. courses.  I think I'm in a fairly
>unique position in that the first language taught in my C.Sc. course
>was SPASM - IBM Single Pass Assembler. Yes, quite amazing.
>
>Anyone else out there in a similar position (apart from graduates
>of Trinity College, Dublin ?).
>--

As an undergrad at MIT in 1965 or 66, I was taught FAP (Fortran Assembly
Program) - 7094 assembler.

At grad school (Stanford 1970), it was IBM360 assembler using a single pass
assembler also called SPASM (or SPAS?).

The availability of hardware simplified the language choice.

---
Jeff
Jeff Dwork			|  408-749-2356 	|  dwork@AMD.COM
Advanced Micro Devices, M/S 45	|---------------------------------------
PO Box 3453			|  The above opionions are mine,
Sunnyvale, Ca 94088		|  not AMD's.

dwork@AMES.ARC.NASA.GOV (Jeff Dwork) (05/02/90)

In article <9004281635.AA13156@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> IBM 370 Assembly
        Programming Discussion List <ASM370@OHSTVMA.IRCC.OHIO-STATE.EDU> writes:
>As many of you are doubtless well aware, a discussion is currently
>raging in comp.edu and overflowing into other groups concerning
>the ideal language for C.Sc. courses.  I think I'm in a fairly
>unique position in that the first language taught in my C.Sc. course
>was SPASM - IBM Single Pass Assembler. Yes, quite amazing.
>
>Anyone else out there in a similar position (apart from graduates
>of Trinity College, Dublin ?).
>--

As an undergrad at MIT in 1965 or 66, I was taught FAP (Fortran Assembly
Program) - 7094 assembler.

At grad school (Stanford 1970), it was IBM360 assembler using a single pass
assembler also called SPASM (or SPAS?).

The availability of hardware simplified the language choice.

---
Jeff
Jeff Dwork                      |  408-749-2356         |  dwork@AMD.COM
Advanced Micro Devices, M/S 45  |---------------------------------------
PO Box 3453                     |  The above opionions are mine,
Sunnyvale, Ca 94088             |  not AMD's.

phorgan@cup.portal.com (Patrick John Horgan) (05/04/90)

When you start in the computer science program at Corpus Christi
State University (part of the Texas A&M System), one of the first
courses is CS 323 Computer organization and assembler language.
The assembler language used to teach the course is 370.  I still
have fond memories of studying dumps to unassemble them.  Hell of
a way to learn hex and assembler:)

Patrick Horgan                     phorgan@cup.portal.com

gilmore@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Neil Gilmore) (05/07/90)

In article <9005041427.AA02995@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, phorgan@cup.portal.COM (Patrick John Horgan) writes...

>When you start in the computer science program at Corpus Christi
>State University (part of the Texas A&M System), one of the first
>courses is CS 323 Computer organization and assembler language.
>The assembler language used to teach the course is 370.  I still
>have fond memories of studying dumps to unassemble them.  Hell of
>a way to learn hex and assembler:)

At MATC, it was the first of the programming classes, and used to weed
out those who couldn't cut it. The timetable gave many dire warnings
about having to spend all your free time in the lab. Unfortunatly, it
didn't teach programming as much as note-taking (i.e. about all you had
to do was copy what was on the balckboard into the machine, and it would
work). This was probably because the school churned out semi-literate
cobol droids. The programs weren't even interesting. Now I'm at a real
school. We learn vax assembler. The programs are even less interesting,
as they're optional for the course.

| Kitakaze Tatsu Raito	Neil Gilmore     internet:gilmore@macc.wisc.edu |
| Jararvellir,          MACC, UW-Madison bitnet: gilmore@wiscmac3       |
| Middle Kingdom        Madison, Wi      DoD #00000064 (no ints here)   |

vms.macc.wisc.EDU@DOGIE.MACC.WISC.EDU (Neil Gilmore) (05/07/90)