[comp.lang.asm370] Programming the MacIntosh

FEATS@VTVM1.BITNET (Steve Greenfield) (04/11/91)

I know, I know; this is not a MacIntosh list!  But, please hear me out.
I am a systems programmer, on an MVS system, responsible for VTAM, CICS,
and NetView.  In my 11 years on the mainframes I have enjoyed programming
in assembler.  Well I have decided to purchase a home computer, a MacIntosh
IIsi, and I want to learn how to program 68000 based assembler and 'C' on
it.  What I am looking for is people who are familiar with both systems and
environments!  The learning curve is bound to be very steep and if I can
find someone who has scaled this curve, it would really help.

I don't mind learning the languages (68000 assembler and 'C'), although
a good book surely helps.  What I would like assistance in is the basic
development cycle.  The entering and editing of source code, the file
naming conventions, the assembly/compile process, the linkage of object
code, the execution of the module, and debugging and dump analysis!  I
would imagine the process on the MAC would have to be somewhat similiar
and if someone could guide me in the right direction, by recommending a
book, sending me an outline of the procedure, or giving me the name of a
person I might contact if questions do arise, I would greatly appreciate
it!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Stephen L. Greenfield
Virginia Polytechnic Institute
Blacksburg, Virginia

Bitnet:    FEATS@VTVM1
Internet:  feats@vtvm1.cc.vt.edu

phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Phil Howard KA9WGN) (04/12/91)

FEATS@VTVM1.BITNET (Steve Greenfield) writes:

>a good book surely helps.  What I would like assistance in is the basic
>development cycle.  The entering and editing of source code, the file
>naming conventions, the assembly/compile process, the linkage of object
>code, the execution of the module, and debugging and dump analysis!  I

Macs are easy:  Just CLICK, move, CLICK, slide,  CLICK, CLICK, drag, CLICK...

>would imagine the process on the MAC would have to be somewhat similiar
>and if someone could guide me in the right direction, by recommending a
>book, sending me an outline of the procedure, or giving me the name of a
>person I might contact if questions do arise, I would greatly appreciate
>it!

My first experience with a Mac trying to do serious development drove me
away and I don't expect to ever come back.
--
 /***************************************************************************\
/ Phil Howard -- KA9WGN -- phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu                              \

news@ucf1vm.BITNET (04/12/91)

FEATS@VTVM1.BITNET (Steve Greenfield) writes:

>a good book surely helps.  What I would like assistance in is the basic
>development cycle.  The entering and editing of source code, the file
>naming conventions, the assembly/compile process, the linkage of object
>code, the execution of the module, and debugging and dump analysis!  I

Macs are easy:  Just CLICK, move, CLICK, slide,  CLICK, CLICK, drag, CLICK...

>would imagine the process on the MAC would have to be somewhat similiar
>and if someone could guide me in the right direction, by recommending a
>book, sending me an outline of the procedure, or giving me the name of a
>person I might contact if questions do arise, I would greatly appreciate
>it!

My first experience with a Mac trying to do serious development drove me
away and I don't expect to ever come back.
--
 /***************************************************************************\
/ Phil Howard -- KA9WGN -- phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu                              \
\ Lietuva laisva -- Brivu Latviju -- Eesti vabaks                             /
 \***************************************************************************/

FERZAN@TREARN.BITNET (OHAN) (04/15/91)

              I have Amiga 500, and I know AZTEC C, 68000 ASM ..
              what is the problem ..

laird@chinet.chi.il.us (Laird J. Heal) (04/21/91)

In article <9104151457.AA11829@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> IBM 370 Assembly Programming Discussion List <ASM370@OHSTVMA.BITNET> writes:

>              I have Amiga 500, and I know AZTEC C, 68000 ASM ..
>              what is the problem ..

Hmmm...quite a question for comp.lang.asm370 or the IBM-370 discussion list...

but I will answer briefly.

First, it takes a Macintosh or a set of ROMs attached to an Amiga or an
Atari ST to run the Macintosh development software, unless you would
like a deal on an Apple Lisa with its Lisa Pascal Workshop software (I
will even throw in a C compiler...).

Second, it takes a copious set of Tech Notes and the six volumes of Inside
Macintosh to understand the system calls and how the beast works - give it
six months on the outside; this does not mention that the sixth volume of
Instide Macintosh has not been published except to Apple developers who
have registered.  One of the latest Tech Notes, for instance, referred to
an unreleased issue of Inside Macintosh Volume VI by page number; this
illustrates another in a series of unbelievable series of blandishments
by Apple regarding both its developers and its customers, whom it leaves
stranded quite regularly.

Third, as I have alluded to above you really need to become an Apple
"Partner" or "Associate".  This costs from $350 to $750, depending (they
offer a version including all essential initial documentation) but is
predicated on your writing software designed to be distributed in a
commercial environment and above all to sell more Macintoshes.

For more information, and a differently biased perspective, call Apple.
--
Laird J. Heal                           The Usenet is dead!
Here:  laird@chinet.chi.il.us		Long live the Usenet!

laird@GARGOYLE.UCHICAGO.EDU ("Laird J. Heal") (04/21/91)