[comp.lang.rexx] ARexx postings in comp.lang.rexx

jck@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu (Chuck Kesler) (06/01/89)

I'm an Amiga and ARexx owner, but I think that the use of comp.lang.rexx
for posting Arexx scripts is quite inappropriate.  The reasoning is quite
simple:  comp.lang.rexx is gatewayed into the Bitnet REXXLIST Listserv
mailing list, and the traffic generated by the ARexx postings is not
in line with the the subject matter that REXXLIST was started for, which
was Rexx running on IBM mainframes, specifically IBM's running VM/SP.

Now, keep in mind that I find Rexx extremely useful in both the Amiga and
IBM worlds; in fact, Rexx is probably the only reason I ever got interested
in VM in the first place.  But, the traffic that could generated by posting
multi-hundred line ARexx scripts to comp.lang.rexx and effectively REXXLIST
cannot be justified.  Bitnet is loaded down quite enough as it is, and the
distribution of such large script files on a regular basis should not be
happening, especially when those scripts are not directly related to the
chief subject matter of REXXLIST.

Also note that IBM Rexx scripts (EXECs) are very rarely posted to REXXLIST,
and when they are, they are very short (read: < 100 lines).  Therefore, I
see no reason why ARexx scripts should be posted there either.

I suggest that long ARexx scripts be confined to comp.sys.amiga and company.
I recall someone making that comment that by posting ARexx scripts to the
Bitnet mailing list might teach us IBM'ers a few things; well, true, there
are many out there who could stand to learn a little more about other
machines.  But then, I think it would be better to post the ARexx scripts
to comp.sys.amiga to teach all of you Amiga owners out there about just
how powerful and flexible ARexx is!  Seriously, go out and buy it, it's worth
the $40...

-Chuck
 VM Systems Programmer
 NCSU Computing Center
 All standard disclaimers apply

elg@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Eric Green) (06/02/89)

in article <3083@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu>, jck@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu (Chuck Kesler) says:
> I'm an Amiga and ARexx owner, but I think that the use of comp.lang.rexx
> for posting Arexx scripts is quite inappropriate.  The reasoning is quite
> simple:  comp.lang.rexx is gatewayed into the Bitnet REXXLIST Listserv
> mailing list, and the traffic generated by the ARexx postings is not
> in line with the the subject matter that REXXLIST was started for, which
> was Rexx running on IBM mainframes, specifically IBM's running VM/SP.

Reminds me of the people who say things like, "Don't post C-64 sources
to comp.sys.cbm! It overflows our ARPAnet mailboxes!". The Arexx
people are posting their stuff to what they think is the most
appropriate USENET group. Considering how little traffic there has
been in this group, the fact that it is gatewayed to a BITNET group
seems pretty irrelevant.

USENETters shouldn't have to suffer for the poor software
implementation of other message networks.

--
    Eric Lee Green              P.O. Box 92191, Lafayette, LA 70509
     ..!{ames,decwrl,mit-eddie,osu-cis}!killer!elg     (318)989-9849