[comp.lang.rexx] unix version of rexx

indra@hobbes.amd.com (Indra Singhal) (05/31/89)

In article <JODY.89May26084530@opus.shell.com> jody@opus.shell.com (Jody Winston) writes:
>Is there a unix version of rexx available?

This is something that I have meant to ask... any information would be very
welcome I am sure.
Indra K. Singhal
either:  indra@amdcad.AMD.COM
 __ or:  {ames decwrl gatech pyramid sun uunet}!amdcad!indra
/""\or:  MS 167; AMD; 901 Thompson Place; Box 3453; Sunnyvale, CA 94088

paula@bcsaic.UUCP (Paul Allen) (06/02/89)

OK.  I give up.  This new newsgroup just showed up with a
name that might be an acronym for Remote Execution.  But
it's clear from the traffic that I have no idea what rexx
is!  I would imagine that many Usenet readers have noticed
the creation of the group, but have no idea what rexx is.

So, does anybody want to volunteer to post a brief description
of rexx so we will know if there will ever be anything of
interest to those of us who are not VM or Amiga users?

Thanks!

Paul
Paul L. Allen                       | pallen@atc.boeing.com
Boeing Advanced Technology Center   | ...!uw-beaver!bcsaic!pallen

ckd@bucsb.UUCP (Christopher Davis) (06/03/89)

In article <12004@bcsaic.UUCP> paula@bcsaic.UUCP (Paul Allen) writes:
>OK.  I give up.  This new newsgroup just showed up with a
>name that might be an acronym for Remote Execution.  But
>it's clear from the traffic that I have no idea what rexx
>is!  I would imagine that many Usenet readers have noticed
>the creation of the group, but have no idea what rexx is.
>
>So, does anybody want to volunteer to post a brief description
>of rexx so we will know if there will ever be anything of
>interest to those of us who are not VM or Amiga users?

Sure, I will... REXX stands for REstructured eXtended eXecutor.  I believe
that it was originally developed by employees of IBM in Britain (the language
manual lists both CENTER() and CENTRE() as the same function... :-).
Later, IBM added it to the VM/SP family of stuff (along with XEDIT and all
of those things) and it is now the "VM/SP System Product Interpreter."

As for the language itself, it is completely untyped, interpreted (at least
as far as I've seen), and has some amazing string parsing abilities.
[This last is reinforced by bad experiences I've had with COBOL... :-]

>Paul
>--
>Paul L. Allen                       | pallen@atc.boeing.com
>Boeing Advanced Technology Center   | ...!uw-beaver!bcsaic!pallen

--Chris
--

Chris Davis         ! ckd@{bu-pub,bucsb,bucsf}.bu.edu ! Disclaimer: you know.
Student Consultant  ! smghy6c@buacca.{bitnet, bu.edu} ! I don't agree with BU