[comp.lang.rexx] Rexx description & history

rfm@urth (Rich McAllister) (06/08/89)

In article <2568@bucsb.UUCP>, ckd@bucsb (Christopher Davis) writes:
>Sure, I will... REXX stands for REstructured eXtended eXecutor.  I believe
>that it was originally developed by employees of IBM in Britain

The language is the creation of Mike Cowlishaw, of IBM UK.  MFC (as he is
known from his userid, from his initials) designed and implemented the
language basically by himself.  He had plenty of comments, code
contributions, and beta testing from the IBM network junkies, but MFC made
all the final decisions.

For a complete description, see _The REXX Language: A practical approach
to programming_, M. F. Cowlishaw, Prentice-Hall, 1985. ISBN  0-13-780735-X.
--
Rich McAllister (rfm@sun.com)

exspes@gdr.bath.ac.uk (P E Smee) (06/09/89)

It is also claimed by IBM that there has never been a bug report accepted
agains the REXX interpreter.  As the story goes, whenever the author receives
a note from a customer which complains that in some circumstances REXX
behaves non-intuitively, he is able to explain (a) why it is in fact
intuitive at a deeper level, and (b) why any of the alternative interpretations
of a particular construct would have had undesireable effects in more
common contexts of use.