[comp.lang.rexx] Amigaphobes

phao172@ut-emx.UUCP (Randy M. Roberts) (08/11/89)

In article <15814@watdragon.waterloo.edu> rtczegledi@crocus.waterloo.edu (Richard Czegledi) writes:
>Rexx?  It's pretty fun.  Really makes the amiga great.
>I'll be posting some scripts as soon as I find my UUencode.
> . . .

Just a friendly word of caution, IMHO there are quite a few Amigaphobes
who subscribe to this newsgroup.

I believe all REXXes are created equal, but what do I know.

Randy Roberts  phao172@emx.utexas.edu

shadow@pawl.rpi.edu (Deven T. Corzine) (08/12/89)

In article <15814@watdragon.waterloo.edu>
rtczegledi@crocus.waterloo.edu (Richard Czegledi) writes:

Richard> Rexx?  It's pretty fun.  Really makes the amiga great.  I'll
Richard> be posting some scripts as soon as I find my UUencode...

Not much point in uuencoding ARexx scripts; they're ASCII...

On 11 Aug 89 14:38:33 GMT,
phao172@ut-emx.UUCP (Randy M. Roberts) said:
Randy> Summary: Warning, Danger, Will Robinson, Danger, Danger!

Randy> Just a friendly word of caution, IMHO there are quite a few
Randy> Amigaphobes who subscribe to this newsgroup.

There appear to be.  Unfortunately, they don't quite all realize that
this is not an Amiga-specific newsgroup.

Randy> I believe all REXXes are created equal, but what do I know.

Not necessarily...  One of the most important things about ARexx
[Amiga REXX] is that it supports (and de facto standardizes) IPC using
the Amiga's message-passing system.  So far as I know, most versions
of REXX have nothing of the sort...  (I could be wrong.)

Deven
--
Deven T. Corzine        Internet:  deven@rpi.edu, shadow@pawl.rpi.edu
Snail:  2214 12th Street, Troy, NY 12180       Phone:  (518) 271-0750

mwm@eris.berkeley.edu (Mike (I'll think of something yet) Meyer) (08/12/89)

My apologies to the people on the IBM side of the link. I'll pound on
Rob (again) Monday about fixing things. If you want to pound on him,
send mail to "rob@violet.berkeley.edu" asking that he fix the Rexx
newsgroups.

In article <SHADOW.89Aug11164532@pawl.rpi.edu> shadow@pawl.rpi.edu (Deven T. Corzine) writes:
<
<In article <15814@watdragon.waterloo.edu>
<rtczegledi@crocus.waterloo.edu (Richard Czegledi) writes:
<
<Richard> Rexx?  It's pretty fun.  Really makes the amiga great.  I'll
<Richard> be posting some scripts as soon as I find my UUencode...
<
<Not much point in uuencoding ARexx scripts; they're ASCII...

And to the point: For those who are interested, I have a rexx archiver
analogous to shar. You point it at multiple files, and it writes a
Rexx script to standard output that will recreate those files when
it's executed.

Because of the problems with the BITNET/USENet gateway, I'm not going
to post the program. If you want it, send mail. If I get enough
requests & get the gateway fixed early next week, I may post it then.

	<mike
--
Cats will be cats and cats will be cool			Mike Meyer
Cats can be callous and cats can be cruel		mwm@berkeley.edu

ckp@grebyn.com (Checkpoint Technologies) (08/15/89)

In article <16953@ut-emx.UUCP> phao172@emx.UUCP (Randy M. Roberts) writes:
>Just a friendly word of caution, IMHO there are quite a few Amigaphobes
>who subscribe to this newsgroup.

	'Amigaphobes'? I could understand folk for whom Amiga Rexx info
would not be useable. I've seen plenty of C code that was useless to me
because it was for a particular machine that did not interest me. But I
don't think I'd say I was 'afraid' to see this code! :-)
--
First comes the logo: C H E C K P O I N T  T E C H N O L O G I E S      / /
                                                                    \\ / /

phao172@ut-emx.UUCP (Randy M. Roberts) (08/15/89)

In article <12270@grebyn.com> ckp@grebyn.UUCP (Checkpoint Technologies) writes:
>In article <16953@ut-emx.UUCP> phao172@emx.UUCP (Randy M. Roberts) writes:
>>Just a friendly word of caution, IMHO there are quite a few Amigaphobes
>>who subscribe to this newsgroup.
>
>	'Amigaphobes'? I could understand folk for whom Amiga Rexx info
>would not be useable. I've seen plenty of C code that was useless to me
>because it was for a particular machine that did not interest me. But I
>don't think I'd say I was 'afraid' to see this code! :-)

I was only commenting about the episode a few months ago when Non-Amiga
REXX users were upset that Amiga REXX users were planning to distribute
Amiga-specific REXX scripts to this newsgroup.  Perhaps their attitudes
have changed since then. :-)

Since this newsgroup has a very low signal (much less a low signal-to-noise
ratio) a few machine specific REXX postings couldn't hurt too much.

Perhaps when REXX takes over the world, and this is the most popular
newsgroup (next to alt.sex), then we should consider limiting the machine
specific postings, and perhaps create a comp.lang.rexx.amiga, etc.

I hope that I did not offend any openminded persons.

Regards,
Randy M. Roberts   phao172@emx.utexas.edu

vkr@osupyr.mps.ohio-state.edu (Vidhyanath K. Rao) (08/17/89)

In article <17072@ut-emx.UUCP> phao172@emx.UUCP (Randy M. Roberts) writes:

>I was only commenting about the episode a few months ago when Non-Amiga
>REXX users were upset that Amiga REXX users were planning to distribute
>Amiga-specific REXX scripts to this newsgroup.  Perhaps their attitudes
>have changed since then. :-)

I believe that any and all "amigaphobes" [and those on the BITNET mailing
list] went to comp.lang.rexx.vm [or was it vms?].  May be that explains
why this newsgroup is so quiet. It also means that you need to go there
to learn about REXX , rather than ARexx.

--
It is the man, not the method, that               Nath
solves the problem.                     vkr@osupyr.mps.ohio-state.edu